Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

icing an area before injecting insulin

(11 Posts)
drinkyourmilk Sun 05-Feb-17 22:01:17

I've recently been started (it's day 3) on insulin to help control gestational diabetes as my reading first thing is too high (always fine after meals)
Even though I conceived through ivf and should be used to injections I'm really struggling with 'the fear'.
My ivf drugs were sub-cut too, and I iced the area for the first couple of weeks until I got over my fear.
Can I do this for the insulin jabs too please?

rosie1959 Sun 05-Feb-17 22:06:33

Can't help with the ice but can't see it would do anything harm But my daughter is type 1 diabetic and has been sinice she was 8 which is a very long time ago and the needle is so small and fine she doesn't ever feel it hope this helps a bit

drinkyourmilk Sun 05-Feb-17 23:11:18

Thanks rosie. I have been doing it without the past 3 days, and apart from the tiniest sting it doesn't hurt- you are right. I'm just still quite nervous and thought icing it may help with that. I have to email in my numbers tomorrow, so will ask at the same time.
I'm not struggling at all with the food aspect or finger prick tests- just this. Silly really. smile

tiggersreturn Fri 10-Feb-17 14:03:48

Yes that's fine. It's what I was told to do as a child. It numbs the skin.

drinkyourmilk Fri 10-Feb-17 14:15:38

Thanks tigger, good to have some reassurance. It also has the advantage of making baby have a decent wiggle, I've an anterior placenta so don't feel much through the day. Win win!

tiggersreturn Fri 10-Feb-17 14:23:13

Have you been told to inject in your stomach? When I was pregnant I was told to avoid there during the 3rd trimester. I have type 1.

drinkyourmilk Fri 10-Feb-17 14:28:31

Yes into my tummy. I'm using a 4mm, so not very long. It's more away from my belly button and in the more fatty bits spare tyre
Was told it wasn't as effective in my thigh- which is a shame as I'm comfortable doing it there.

drinkyourmilk Fri 10-Feb-17 14:30:36

Insulin isn't really having an effect yet though. Started at 2 units then 3, then 5. Each time it's increased my fasting bg levels rise and then take a couple of days to settle- but it's never lowered enough. It's only my readings on waking that are high. Every other one is well within range

jinglestheelf Fri 10-Feb-17 14:34:06

I've had GD three times and never been able to inject myself, my husband had to do it for me. Not helpful to you but I though if let you know you're not alone with the fear!

drinkyourmilk Fri 10-Feb-17 14:42:03

Thanks jingles. I'm far too controlling to let dh stab me grin. I'm OK now, but those first few days were awful. Can't see me being any better if we decide to do ivf again.

journeyon Tue 21-Feb-17 10:13:30

Hi another with a ds type 1 - pump now and never used ice etc however I do know of something called Buzzy for Shots that has helped some

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now