Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Diabetic diagnosis from repeated viruses/ongoing illness? Advice

(7 Posts)
MotherOfBeagles Fri 20-Jan-17 23:43:00

Hi, i have been unwell with chest infections and sinus infections consistently since the end of september. Today i was put on my 4th lot of antibiotics and diagnosed with my 3rd chest infection. The doctor today was less than talkative and i really had to prod him to get him to say more than yes or no.

He mentioned that when i am semi-well again he wants to send me for further blood testing, i pushed this to find out why and he said ongoing illness/susceptibility to viruses can be a sign of diabetes. I tried to get more information out of him but he wouldnt talk further as my appointment had apparently finished. So now im panicking and spent the day googling to no avail.

Now i regularly get the finger prick test at my local pharmacy as there is a big history of T1 in the family and i am always well within the normal range.

I am overweight and dont eat as healthily as i could but generally fit and can run around after my dogs and my job. Always tired as i work a busy job and being vegetarian makes me prone to bouts of anaemia. Not sure that im thirsty a lot to be honest.

Anyone got any ideas? Was this doctor just pulling things out of the air or is it a common sign? He also said the finger prick test id been getting wouldnt necessarily show this type up? So confused me even more.

Sorry for the essay and if you've made it this far thank you! Just trying to calm myself down a bit, and i know noone can give me a personalised diagnosis just looking for general experience.

Tripletmumof4 Mon 23-Jan-17 19:32:17

From my daughters experience with type 1 I know that things like thrush , skin infections UTI s are more common when blood sugar is higher but haven't heard that it makes you more susceptible to illness in general .The finger prick would show higher current bs whereas an Hba1c test would show longer term levels so maybe that was what he meant . There are other types eg Mody which are more strongly genetic so possible he was thinking on those lines . Hope you get better soon and can get more communication from your doctor .

MotherOfBeagles Mon 23-Jan-17 20:26:52

Thank you that's really helpful smile

Tripletmumof4 Mon 23-Jan-17 21:06:11

Best talk to your doctor again though,as I am no medic just talking about my daughters experience .Could be different for adults .

lougle Mon 23-Jan-17 21:12:00

Could he be thinking of type 2 Diabetes?

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Mon 23-Jan-17 21:16:15

Your post could have been written by my colleague. She has been ill with viral infections since I started my job in October and, following lots of other tests, has just been diagnosed with T2.

MotherOfBeagles Tue 24-Jan-17 17:25:02

I will thank you. Just waiting to finish this lot of antibiotics and hopefully shake the last of this virus off then he said to go back.

I honestly have no idea he literally said nothing more than what I posted. He was nice just wouldn't talk.

greater hope your colleague is feeling better and is coping ok with new diagnosis!

Thank you for your replies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now