Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

I'm still hungryyyyyyyyy

(4 Posts)
cheekyfunkymonkey Tue 03-Jan-17 20:05:52

Every day, every meal. I serve what I think are correct portions, TBH I probably serve a bit more than what I think the average is because DD was born in 98 percentile and has always been tall for her age. She is 5, in size 6-7 clothes, not overweight but 'sturdy', can see ribcage and all of that, bmi fine, but always hungry. I am beginning to doubt myself so thought I would ask the mumsnet collective whether I am feeding her enough. I am loathe to just keep giving her food because sometimes I swear she just eats until I run out of food and give her a sweet hit. Other times I just think she is bored etc. Sometimes she is genuinely hungry, tonight I gave her a weetabix before bed to top her up. Typical day: breakfast - cereal eg porridge ( about 8 tablespoons made), 1 or 1.5 weetabix, or a kids bowl 3/4 full of cornflakes/ museli/ blueberry wheats, then fruit ( apple or banana or berries) then sometimes also a yogurt or slice of toast, morning snack is either fruit, cracker and cream cheese or some form of cake/ biscuit, lunch- usually a sandwich if she gets to choose and tomato/ cucumber/ pepper but hot meal at school, followed by a yogurt, fruit or cake/ biscuit, afternoon snack is sometimes chocolate or cheese and crackers or crumpet etc and then always a hot meal, pasta bolognaise/ roast dinner/ fish and chips/ fajitas etc whatever we are having plus fruit plus yogurt or a pud of some description ( jelly or bananas and custard, or mousse or something we have baked). I don't think I am stingy on portions. Is this normal? She gets quite distressed if I say no because I think she has had enough. Especially at night. I end up giving her another piece of fruit or hot milk at bedtime. She usually finishes her food. On the occasion she hasn't eaten her main because she didn't like it I have less sympathy and she just gets offered that again but I will let her way the fruit and a non pudding pudding on these days. I guess I am asking if this is usual in 5 year olds ( although she has always been an eater) and any strategies for dealing which will keep her in normal weight limits!

lovelearning Tue 03-Jan-17 20:10:08

breakfast

Children needs eggs for breakfast

I'm still hungryyyyyyyyy

Feed the child

lovelearning Tue 03-Jan-17 20:12:41

oops

Children need eggs for breakfast

cheekyfunkymonkey Tue 03-Jan-17 20:20:44

I will try eggs definitely. She gets them on weekends (after cereal, apparently it's not breakfast without that) so maybe I need to change that idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now