Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Do people with diabetes get more thrush?

(4 Posts)
Hermano Wed 28-Dec-16 08:47:33

Just wondering.

I'm pregnant and have thrush all the time, did in my last pregnancy too.

Was borderline for gestational diabetes last time, not reached that stage yet this time.

I gather thrush is due to increased vaginal sugar in pregnancy, and gestational diabetes is due to elevated blood sugar for some reason due to growing baby. So just wondering if blood sugar and vaginal sugar correlate?

Apologies if an insensitive and trivial post in a diabetes forum

RosalieDene Wed 28-Dec-16 08:50:01

Yes it is more common in diabetics - your reasoning as to why is perfect as well!

There is some info here about it:
www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/diabetes-and-yeast-infections.html

smile

teainbed Wed 28-Dec-16 08:50:18

Yes it's more common if your blood sugar control is poor. The yeast feed on the sugar. But it's very common in pregnancy too. Has your husband been treated? Have you tried cutting sugar/fruit/refined carbs?

Hermano Wed 28-Dec-16 21:06:00

Thanks for answers.

Husband hasn't been treated, actually he has his own thrush issues (anal - we're an attractive sounding couple right?) which he's just got some treatment for, but we haven't had any PIV since this has exploded, so no need for treatment! My lady parts are out of bounds at the moment which I'm happy with.

Good to know I need to keep and eye on this and might be the other side of the line for the GTT test this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now