Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Struggling at the moment

(3 Posts)
Vanillaradio Mon 16-May-16 15:02:24

I have had type 1 diabetes for 15 years now. About 8 years ago I had a run of hospital admissions but since then my control has been pretty good. Hba1c largely in the 7s sometimes in 6s and minimal hypos. Had ds 2 and half years ago and was able to keep not bad control during pregnancy, hba1c 5.9 by end and he was well and healthy. This year we have been thinking of trying for dc2, time is of the essence as I am 39.
In April I started to feel a bit sick so checked blood sugar and it was in the 30s, normal corrections would not bring it down (on insulin pump) and within a few hours I was in hospital with dka and on a drip. They diagnosed a chest infection. I was in hospital for 4 nights, let out but readmitted the next night as I passed out on the floor with a hypo and couldn't be woken. That never ever happened before. This month I went in holiday to Spain and found myself again admitted to hospital for 2 nights with cellulitis, blood sugars were very very high but no dka this time.
Does anyone have any ideas why this might suddenly be happening, what I can do about it. And does this suggest another dc is a really bad idea. Doctors think I should get pregnant before 40 but how can I right now?

AmandaJane82a Tue 17-May-16 20:44:34

I am afraid with diabetes sometimes you just seem to get illnesses one after another and my bs levels are really badly affected by illness. About three years ago I got seven infections/illnesses over a period of 4 months, so of course by hba 1c for that time was
high. When I related this to my gp he refused to believe they could be affected and was very unpleasant to me and said I should make more of an effort etc (I changed Drs shortly afterwards).

So sorry I cant be of any help but unfortunately it does 'just happen' sometimes.

How was you control when you had your first child?

Vanillaradio Wed 18-May-16 13:17:29

Thank you for replying. My control durin pregnancy was not too bad, bit shaky in the first trimester and was in hospital briefly at 26 weeks after a bad cold sent levels mad, but other than was pretty good. Ds was 7lb 5 and healthy. I am hoping this is as you say just a blip but the timing is terrible!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now