Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

cakes/sweets for diabetes

(4 Posts)
tuilamum Sun 27-Dec-15 10:22:18

My DGM is currently going through tests for diabetes/food intolerance and has been advised to cut out lactose and to have minimal sugar/gluten. As such she couldn't really eat much over Christmas and I know she was upset by it and I was wondering if there were any cakes or sweets I could buy that she could eat? I'm not good at baking and all I can find online is recipes... I don't mind if I have to order them to be delivered if there's nothing in supermarkets but I'm just not sure what she can eat that's free from lactose, gluten and ok for diabetes?
She's generally very down at the moment and her children are (understandably) being very strict in what she can't eat so id like to find ger something she can to try and get her thinking positive... Please help me

Silvergran68 Sun 27-Dec-15 10:31:58

Can only speak on diabetes but do be careful on things labelled for diabetics. Some of the sweeteners have a definite laxative effect!

tuilamum Sun 27-Dec-15 10:54:44

Thank you I'll bear that in mind! I have heard of the stories from the sugar free gummy bears on amazon...

TheFuzz Mon 25-Jan-16 00:58:41

Sugar free sweets etc still has the same carbs as those with sugar in.

It's carbs that a type 2 needs to reduce. That's rice, potatoes wheat etc etc. She can still have it, just reduce the quantity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now