Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Metformin

(9 Posts)
Foxy800 Wed 08-Jul-15 21:32:05

Hi i have had type two diabetes two years ago and was controlling it by diet but when I went for a review last week the doctor put me on metformin. Since taking it I have felt horrendous and there is no way I am upping the dose as the doctor wants me to, gradually working up to 4 tablets a day. I have been taking it with my breakfast, eating half then taking and eating the other half. however, today I spoke to the pharmacist and changed it to the evening meal but am still feeling shocking. I am a single mum and there is no way I can feel like this. I felt fine before going on meds. I am tempted to tell doctor I want to come off it and try controlling the diet again. Not sure why I am posting this really apart from to get others options.
Thanks in advance.

Footle Thu 16-Jul-15 19:38:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Foxy800 Wed 22-Jul-15 10:21:58

Thank u for the reply.I have currently stopped taking the meds and am revamping my diet.I feel so much better for it too.x

Footle Wed 22-Jul-15 21:20:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

trinity0097 Sun 16-Aug-15 07:47:56

Most type 2 diabetics have success following a Lchf diet to control blood sugars (and most lose weight if this is needed too) - I am metformin free having done this.

Itscurtainsforyou Sun 16-Aug-15 08:24:36

I agree about asking to be changed to the slow release tablets - they generally cause fewer problems/side effects.

Foxy800 Mon 17-Aug-15 21:53:52

Thank u for the replies.I haven't taken any metformin for weeks and have seriously revamped my diet and am feeling absolutely fine.x

Foxy800 Mon 17-Aug-15 21:54:40

Can I just ask what a lchf diet is please.x

JustForThisFred Mon 17-Aug-15 22:04:54

Low Carb High Fat

If you want lots of advice and some great friends along the way, go to BIWI's BOOTCAMP threads. I got my bloods back within normal doing it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now