Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Gestational diabetes - potatoes

(4 Posts)
Reiltin Thu 18-Jun-15 17:49:33

My wife was told that she can't eat baked potatoes but baby potatoes are fine. I'm a bit confused! I've done some research (thank you, Dr Google!) which says that baked potatoes are fine. Anyone got any definitive knowledge on whether she can eat regular potatoes? If she can't, how on earth are they different to baby potatoes? So confused!

Jellybean100 Fri 19-Jun-15 15:27:18

Hi Reiltin. I think the odd jacket potato will not do any harm, however I think this advice was given due to the large amount of carbohydrate in the average jacket potato (50g), compared to 150g of boiled potato (25g). Carbohydrate is converted in to glucose and therefore raises blood sugar, so it is wise to avoid large portions of these- bread, sugary cereal, rice, pasta, baked beans. Of course, everything in moderation smile

ChaiseLounger Fri 19-Jun-15 15:38:29

Jacket potatoes are much higher than other types of Potato, this is correct.

Sweetsecret Sun 21-Jun-15 23:21:00

I had gestational diabetes and was diet controlled, my dietician said baked Potatoes were fine, but not to have one bigger than your fist. it's the portion control.
And if you are going to have things high in carbs eat a tonne of salad with it, it mops up the extra sugar so to speak.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now