Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Late Onset Type 1 Diabetes

(5 Posts)
SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Fri 20-Feb-15 13:31:27

Hi,
My mother has recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, she is 67. It is definitely type 1 not type 2. She is the oldest person her hospital team have ever met who developed type 1.
I was wondering if anyone here had come across anyone with a similar experience?
She is doing really well but is still prone to hypos.
Thanks.

BerylStreep Sat 21-Feb-15 00:13:10

My Mum was diagnosed when she was 47. Because of her age, it was assumed it was type 2, but her consultant confirmed it was definitely type 1.

She would say that on reflection, she had had blood sugar issues for much of her life, but I don't think she could have had diabetes all that time, possibly some form of insulin resistance.

hels71 Sun 12-Apr-15 21:21:21

My dad was diagnosed with type 1 at 67 too.

ragged Sun 12-Apr-15 21:30:28

Theresa May.

MrsBobDylan Mon 15-Jun-15 18:15:11

This is really interesting...my grandfather died from late onset diabetes as did his brother, both in their early 60s. I'd always assumed it was type 2 but my mum called it late onset just as you have so now I've started to wonder? My DS got type 1 at 4 yrs old so I'm even more curious if there is a genetic link.

Hope your Mum is adjusting OK. It's a bit of a shock whatever age!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now