Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

DAFNE and low carbing

(3 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Mon 12-Jan-15 20:57:26

I've been recommended to go on a DAFNE course, which I'm feeling quite positive about. I already follow a low carb diet and am wondering if anyone can tell me whether the two are compatible or not? Low carb generally works for me (apart from the lack of chocolate!) and I'm cautious about eating carbs as I know they spike my BG.

Any experiences?

lotsofcheese Mon 12-Jan-15 21:02:22

DAFNE teaches adjusting your insulin for the amount of carbohydrates eaten, using a ratio eg 1 unit of insulin per CP (10g carbohydrate portion).

So if you eat less carbs you'll just take less insulin. But it depends on how little carbohydrate you eat? There is some evidence about needing to take in enough carbs to maintain the glycogen response in hypoglycaemia. And also enough to prevent ketones.

Itscurtainsforyou Mon 12-Jan-15 23:28:35

Thanks! I wonder what amount of carbs they consider to be "needed"?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: