Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Diagnosis of type 2 after gestational diabetes

(4 Posts)
Elizabeth1980 Sun 04-Jan-15 12:45:10

I'm 34 years old and have a 6 month yr old baby.i was diagnosed with gestational diabetes after going for a gtt test at 25 weeks preg.i gave birth safely to a healthy baby girl.i haven't gone for a re test yet as I'm scared at the results.i kept my blood sugar monitor and have been doing occasional tests on a morning after results have been between 5.8 and 6.1. I'm aware these are too high and quite possibly diabetic levels.has anyone else been diagnosed with type 2 after pregnancy?? Any support/advice welcome.thankyou

mygrandchildrenrock Thu 08-Jan-15 21:49:31

My youngest child is 14 and I had insulin dependant gestational diabetes. I was told that if you've taken insulin then you will develop diabetes some time in the future between 1-10 yrs after birth. If you've managed to control gestational diabetes by diet/exercise/tablets you stand no more chance thany anyone else of developing diabetes post pregnancy.
I was unlucky in that when my baby was exactly one, I recognised all the signs of diabetes and sure enough was diagnosed with type 2. I then diet controlled for 5 yrs, then medication for 5 years and now I am on new medication and having some difficulty getting it right. Insulin injections will be the next step.
I often look at my gorgeous 14 yr old and think she is worth it all!
Being scared is no way to live, if you have developed type 2, it's not the end of the world. I remember asking the consultant about my life expectancy - being an older mother of a one year old- and he said it was in my hands and I should live to a ripe old age if I was sensible.
Go and get yourself checked out and good luck.

TooSpotty Wed 14-Jan-15 17:06:49

Elizabeth, I had diet-controlled GD with my second baby. I also kept an eye on my blood sugar afterwards and while my post-meal figures were fine, my fasting was also elevated. It hovered in the high 5s and then one day it was 6.1.

That was the first day of my new life. I started an exercise regime that I grew to love, and I binned most carbs. I went on to cut sugar out completely. I spoke to doctors about it all. I have lost four stone, my insulin response is still normal and my fasting levels are lower, although still around 5, which I would like to see go further down.

My year-on post-baby hba1c test was 5.1, which my GP was very happy with (I would have preferred to be a bit lower though). I now eat and move completely differently and, while I know my chances of Type II are higher than if none of this had happened, I have done everything I can to minimise them.

So you can do the same. Go and talk to your GP, although be warned that there are plenty of old-fashioned ones out there who will say any fasting blood sugar under 7 is completely normal. See if you have a slightly more progressive one! Ask for an hba1c - this is now the standard diagnostic for diabetes. I think I have dawn phenomenon, in which my liver dumps sugar into my blood stream in the early hours causing a higher fasting level. It's a pain, but my blood sugar is pretty normal the rest of the time so I try not to fret. Your fasting levels are NOT diabetic, but anything over 5 is considered on the high side by many diabetic experts, and over 6 is often described as pre-diabetic (a pretty disputed term, but an indicator that something is wrong).

Remember that one thing the medical profession seems pretty united on is that most of us can do quite a bit to prevent or delay the onset of Type II diabetes. Good luck with it all. And as mygrandchildren says, it's not the end of the world if it does happen.

Elizabeth1980 Fri 16-Jan-15 21:01:32

Thanks for all your responses.ive now booked in for a doc appointment to get tested.ive already started making changes.carbs have gone out the window now and my diet is changing.having a baby keeps me busy but managing to do some walking with the pram!! I've taken control and got weighed with the hope that I lose a significant amount if weight. It's the stigma attached to being type 2 more than anything.and i do blame myself for being fat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now