Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

investigated for diabetes

(4 Posts)
twinkletoedelephant Tue 02-Dec-14 13:37:44

After feeling run down for months and so tired DH finally convinced me to go to dr. i thought my iron levels were low i am often anemic.
After blood results come back Dr. wants to invesitgate diabetes my mum had type 1, started when she was the age i am now.

It didnt occur to me but i have been drinking and weeing a lot more and have had an almost permanant headache from dull to full blown migraine - I have also had painfull feet to walk on like i have stepped on lego and my hands and feet are always cold (no idea if thats connected)

Dr wants me to have a fasting bloodtest - but i cant get an appointment for 3 weeks - I really dont want to feel this bad for that long - especially comming up to christmas, and having the kids around i dont have the energy to deal with them sad

JellyBabiesSaveLives Thu 04-Dec-14 21:36:05

If you have type 1 you really can't wait 3 weeks for diagnosis - you'd be in a&e before then.

If it's type 2 then there's no easy fix - you'll be asked to change your diet, and you can do that now anyway (go low-carb).

You can do the fasting test yourself too. You can buy a blood glucose meter from a pharmacy. Test yourself first thing in the morning, drink a bottle of lucozade (original, full sugar!), wait 2 hours without eating or drinking anything else, and test again.

Ranges of blood glucose results here -
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/oral-glucose-tolerance-test.html

JellyBabiesSaveLives Thu 04-Dec-14 21:37:42

www.diabetes.co.uk/oral-glucose-tolerance-test.html

paddyclampo Sat 06-Dec-14 12:38:09

I'm with jellybabies - you need to do a finger prick test. Either borrow one from a friend or go to the pharmacy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now