Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Follow up after gestational diabetes

(9 Posts)
firsttimekat Wed 30-Jul-14 11:42:00

At my antenatal appointments I was told I'd need a follow up 6weeks after birth, this was all written in my pregnancy notes which I now don't have (not helpful!). I'm now 4 weeks in and no appointment letter, so rang to find out what's going on and have a GTT booked. But I've been online and the NICE guidelines are that you don't have a GTT but just a fasting glucose test.

What follow up did other people have? Should I be ringing again to get this changed or is this pretty standard? The receptionist and mw were pretty unhelpful when I rang and didn't really understand what I was asking for (hence the google check) so reluctant to ring again but of course will if I have the wrong thing booked!

firsttimekat Wed 30-Jul-14 21:44:15

Anyone?

DinoSnores Fri 01-Aug-14 11:14:31

A lot of diabetologists feel that the NICE guidance is too conservative and misses a good proportion of both GDM and T2DM and so feel that offering a glucose challenge or GTT to all pregnant women (not just those at risk) and then a GTT post-natally for all women with GDM is a better way of not missing diagnoses. My local hospital, where a lot of the research into diabetes in pregnancy happens, certainly does that.

Hope that is reassuring and that it is all fine!

firsttimekat Fri 01-Aug-14 14:33:49

Thanks that is reassuring and a nice change that my hospital is going beyond the guidelines!

quesadillas Sun 03-Aug-14 02:12:27

I had to demand a follow up from GP 6 months post-birth. A year on from that and I'm being tested again as results weren't great. Not looking forward to this year's result!

Elizabeth1980 Sun 04-Jan-15 12:22:18

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at gtt test.im overweight. I've continued to test my sugar on a morning and they remain high at 5.8 to 6.1! I haven't been for the re test yet I'm too scared at outcome.I'm only 34 years old and will completely blame myself if I have got type 2 diabetes.dreading going for the test

Sweetsecret Sun 21-Jun-15 23:25:08

I had a GTT six weeks after birth of both my children, so I think it's pretty standard. both of mine came back clear, but I have to have an annual diabetes test now, that's just a blood test.thanks

Jellybean100 Fri 26-Jun-15 01:21:02

Elizabeth that range of blood sugar is absolutely fine. Please go to your test as planned. X

Jellybean100 Fri 26-Jun-15 01:24:12

Elizabeth that range of blood sugars is absolutely fine! Please go to your test as planned!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now