Talk

Advanced search

Dad and smoking

(13 Posts)
Sunnyday1203 Wed 13-Jun-18 10:37:12

My dad is currently in hospital and Social worker is trying to find him a Care home that will allow him to smoke in the garden. Does anyone have any experience of this, do some care homes allow this.? it is proving difficult. I know smoking is bad but he enjoys it and not much point in him trying to give up now.

wormery Wed 13-Jun-18 11:03:56

Where in the country are you. Is he self funding or council. I have never known anywhere refuse smoking outside, it is the clients home.

wormery Wed 13-Jun-18 11:24:01

The RQIA issue guidance on smoking in carehomes

Sunnyday1203 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:13:56

They are looking for a place in the South Westl and will be council funded. He will be going into nursing home for assessment. It very confusing as the SW had told this home he was a smoker, they invited us to look around and choose a room. And then to be told they have a no smoking policy on the premises.

wormery Wed 13-Jun-18 13:58:35

Not being nosy but where in the s.w. I will see if I can find anywhere. Does he want to smoke in his room, that is usually not allowed and outside is different and time gives the staff a chance to nip off for a crafty fat if he is to be accompaniedsmile

Sunnyday1203 Wed 13-Jun-18 15:01:10

Bristol area. He is happy to smoke in the garden not in room. Would be quite able and happy to sit on his own. I think smoking in his room could be a fire risk. I do get sick of the snotty looks we get from the nursing staff when we take him out for a ciggy, when in hospital.

chrissie28 Fri 15-Jun-18 12:33:43

They should alll allow him to smoke in the garden and they should provide someone to be with him It is unceeptable not to . Did the nursing home say there were unwilling to provide a small area where he could smoke outside? and what do their own staff do? I would phone them and question it

Sunnyday1203 Fri 15-Jun-18 12:39:25

I have just been told by the social worker that most homes have a no smoking policy full stop. I am so frustrated, dad needs to be discharged and they are suggesting he should go home with carers but that is exactly what was in place and has proved a massive failure.

chrissie28 Fri 15-Jun-18 18:31:02

that isn't true they don't, most homes have a smoking area outside which residents can access so the SW once again knows zilch! Not surprised you are frustrated. Come and join my facebook group if you want some extra support www.facebook.com/groups/dementiaconnection/

Sunnyday1203 Mon 18-Jun-18 15:08:07

Thanks Chrissie SW is a bit crap tbh. She keeps seeing dad and asking him what he thinks. He is not able to make rational decisions about his health, safety and money issues. Only this morning did she say he should be able to go home, just makes her life easier. I am not having any of it.

chrissie28 Mon 18-Jun-18 20:59:06

I think perhaps it might be an idea to phone the team manager and ask whether she thinks it is acceptable to keep asking someone who doesn't have capacity to make decisions

Sunnyday1203 Tue 19-Jun-18 10:32:53

Finally think we might have found somewhere, Care home manager is going visit dad to assess him, not sure what that means but fingers crossed.

FurryDogMother Fri 22-Jun-18 16:10:50

If all else fails, you could try him on something like the 10 Motives cig-a-like e-cigs. My Dad switched to them last September, at age 90, after smoking from the age of 7 or 8. He was in hospital at the time, but even when he came home he stuck with them as he was afraid of setting himself on fire! I suggest the 10 Motives because they look like cigarettes, and they don't need the 'smoker' to press a button or fill up a tank with liquid, or anything that could confuse them (Dad has mid-stage mixed dementia). Worth a try?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: