Talk

Advanced search
In partnership with Red & Yellow Care

Advice please re what next following stroke

(6 Posts)
notaflyingmonkey Sat 27-May-17 07:56:56

Mum has mild dementia, and is in hospital following a stroke. She lives on her own, but with a degree of support from me prior to the stroke.

What I don't know is what's next? (I am not going to be her full time carer). I have had a brief conversation with Occupational Health regarding her facilities at home etc but I just don't see how she could go back to living on her own, even with carers coming in (but perhaps her mobility will improve). I presume that she would have to pay for any care - does anyone know the cost of that?

She would absolutely hate to end up in a home, but I am struggling to see what the choices are, and being given no information or support from hospital.

CMOTDibbler Wed 31-May-17 16:28:09

The next step is your mum being assessed by a social worker as to her care needs, how much she would have to pay for this and how it might be provided.

Could she afford a few weeks in a home as 'convalescing' to see how she settled? My mum would have hated the thought of a home, but loved her stay in respite

thesandwich Wed 31-May-17 16:37:43

She should have a review and discharge plan which can include funded care for a 6 week period. I echo the convalescence idea as being a good one- that may be funded if there are places in step down care- and the hospital will want the bed.

notaflyingmonkey Fri 02-Jun-17 08:48:57

Thanks both. I think that convalescence is a good idea, not least of all because it is something that she will understand - and hopefully accept - and give me a chance to get whatever changes I need to made in the house.

annandale Fri 02-Jun-17 08:52:14

Ask what her rehab potential is thought to be and how she will get that rehab.

Services immediately after stroke can be very good but they may drop away sharply when she could still improve. I strongly recommend ringing the Stroke Association, they are great.

Busybee233 Fri 02-Jun-17 08:57:02

We kept my grandma at home for 4 years she then had a stroke and we thought about a care home the one near us was perfect big bedrooms hairdressers good food lots of company seeing the home made me wish we had moved her in earlier but sadly she passed away just before we spent years living with my gran and caring for them my mum was house trapped unless the cares came it was worth it to see my gran happy at home but she was bed bound in the end for 3 years atleast in a home they could have hoisted her into a wheel chair to get outside or in the bath definitely have a think about it we don't regret having her at home but she probably would of been happier in a home with more attention and people her own age that she probably New

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now