Talk

Advanced search

Mother's GP believes she is in early stages of dementia

(3 Posts)
Evenstar Wed 17-May-17 21:25:33

My mother has had a series of blood and urine tests and a scan of her head in the last few weeks, all of these have now come back negative. She is waiting for an appointment at the memory clinic, though we are now looking at getting a private referral to speed this up.

What is frightening is that this decline has happened in the last few months, she falls asleep constantly, loses words and will say odd things like wondering what the name of a bird she can see in the garden is (it's name not the species). She is also having urinary incontinence. Her voice has changed and is slow and lacks expression.

My stepfather has just had surgery and is far from well himself and my brother and I both live around 200 miles away. We are obviously very concerned and don't know how things will go for her.

Has anyone had a similar experience and did things progress rapidly from this point? Thank you.

daisydalrymple Sat 24-Jun-17 22:03:44

Hi evenstar, I've just seen your post and noticed it was a month ago, so I'm not sure if you'll still be checking for replies. Sorry nobody responded with a similar scenario. My dad now has advanced Alzheimer's, but in the early to moderate stages, he'd point in the garden often, talking about a cat that wasn't there. The disease presents so differently for each individual (something I found hard to believe at the beginning, I kept expecting the HCPs to give me a general idea of what to expect when).

It may be that your mum is beginning with one of the other forms of dementia (vascular would be a possibility, from what you've said, except for the fact you said the test results came back clear, otherwise I'd have wondered at the possibility of a TIA).

Have you heard from the memory clinic yet? If you do see this reply, it might be worth bumping your post at a few different times, just incase it gets the attention of somebody with a relative who's had a more similar experience. Also, there's a long standing thread for people with a parent with dementia. I think it's still going. If you pop over to there you could post a question there and may receive some responses.

Otherwise I hope you've had more support by now in RL. Best wishes.

daisydalrymple Sat 24-Jun-17 22:04:58

Support thread here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now