Advanced search

Funding care home

(3 Posts)
NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sun 05-Mar-17 13:46:26

My mother was diagnosed with mixed dementia this week..moderate Alzheimer's and vascular dementia. She has been violent towards my father and ambulance team, MH team during a crisis when she was found to have a UTI.
She is back home but things are very volatile and my dad is showing signs of strain.
Mum wants to go into a care home, but not sure how this all works.
They own a house and have savings, not a huge amount though.
Ideally it would be better for them to be near us and family as they are a 2 hour drive away.
A couple of questions:
If mum was funded can she move to a different county?
If they sold the house, would she have to use half of the house sale to pay for care? If they did that dad would not be able to buy anything this way as we are in a more expensive area, but could if he received all of the house proceeds.

PurpleWithRed Sun 05-Mar-17 13:50:24

Speak to Social services in the area you want them to move to, and/or CAB and Age U.K. Or Dementia Care, or all the above, for advice and information. Hope someone will come along who knows the answers.

Pommes Sun 05-Mar-17 13:53:20

Hi OP. Apologies, must read and run. However 'deferred payments' may be useful in your Dad's situation (above for more info).

Yes, your Mum could move out of the County. If the local authority are funding this they will help you look for a placement etc.

Does Mum currently have any support at home (homecare visits, etc.)? If not the local authority are likely to explore these options to relieve the strain on your Dad, before jumping straight to a residential placement.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: