Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Walls closing in on me

(9 Posts)
notaflyingmonkey Sun 15-Jan-17 14:21:40

I was trying really hard to start with a positive view on the year. But am already floundering. I had shared the support for my mum with my brother, but his circumstances have changed, and now I need to take on more.

I pay to have a daily paper delivered, so that she has something to read everyday and some idea of the news. Today the man in the shop told me they are closing down, and the delivery will stop. I got back in the car and cried. Bloody hell, that didn't last long to be tipped over the edge on something stupid! It just feels like I've got so many plates spinning, and I am starting to drop them.

user1465335180 Sun 05-Feb-17 16:48:22

Couldn't let your post go unanswered, it's bloody hard being a carer and a silly thing like the paper shop closing gets blown out of proportion. If you haven't spoken to them yet then get in touch with Age UK- they helped me a lot with paperwork and general support. Good luck

Cakingbad Sun 05-Feb-17 16:53:38

Sorry your brother is no longer doing so much. Do you really want to take on his share? Is there an alternative? Don't do more than you want to do. Your life and your happiness is important. There will be other options.

Jamhandprints Sun 05-Feb-17 16:55:10

flowers

notaflyingmonkey Sun 05-Feb-17 17:23:29

thanks all for your support.

I'm feeling ok today, but am really aware that I am spreading myself thinly. the thing I really need to do is sort my claim for Attendance Allowance, as I think that will help with some of the tasks. I'll take a look at Age UK as well, I hadn't thought to try them.

3luckystars Sun 05-Feb-17 17:27:49

Get your brother to pay for a newspaper subscription and a magazine subscription for YOU.
I'm so sorry you are dealing with all this x

Tarrarra Sun 05-Feb-17 17:38:34

I've been a carer and I know how hard it is. There's lots of good advice on attendance allowance and all sorts of other things here...

www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/attendance-allowance?gclid=CLe9u4G_-dECFU-T7QodgusH_w

Ask for help if you need it, don't feel like you have to do everything. There's only so much one person can do, and hard though it is to accept outside help, you do need to have some so that you can have time away from it all.

flowers

Cakingbad Sun 05-Feb-17 18:09:06

Glad you're feeling better OP. Please get all the help you can. And if you get to the point where being the main carer is all too much, there are always other options.

user1465335180 Mon 06-Feb-17 00:00:16

Just to say Age UK will fill out Attendance allowance forms for you if you ask

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now