Talk

Advanced search

Advanced dementia

(8 Posts)
Adelie0404 Tue 03-Jan-17 18:23:08

I have posted before but this time I just want some sympathy I guess. My mother over the holidays has got so much worse. She manages the occasional "yes" and " no" but that is it. She drools, and grimaces and repeatedly gives out a guttural groan. It is distressing her lovely carer who wonder if she is in pain. She isn't, I know it is an expected course of the disease. It is called a "mixed dementia" but a more specific label wouldn't help. Oddly she is still mobile and still eats. That's not so typical of dementia! But her speech and recognition or even acknowledgment of people is gone. I can't get any response from her. It was thought to be more fronto-temporal on her scans 4 years ago and I guess this fits (I am medical). It's just so sad, and I feel for her carer too - it is getting much harder for her. My mother has gone and it's so sad.

FruitCider Tue 03-Jan-17 18:40:43

I'm so sorry for your current and pending loss.

Have you got good support in place?

CMOTDibbler Tue 03-Jan-17 18:54:03

That sounds really distressing to watch. My mums dementia is predominantly fronto temporal, and her speech was the first thing to go, then her recognition of objects - including people which has been upsetting.

On the off chance, has she been checked for a UTI in case thats causing discomfort and the rapid decline?

Adelie0404 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:41:49

She has been screened - the GP is sure it's not infection. I have a supportive DH thankfully. he is such an active and fantastic father. he always encourages me to see her. Her carer took her out on the bus - they have coffee and come straight back - but a trip out settles her more and she sleeps better. I don't see her as much as I should and feel guilty but I just go to support her carer. Yesterday she kept putting things in her mouth to bite photo of her mother and a ball. My sister bought her lipstick for xmas and she tried to eat it. It is like regressing to become a baby isn't it?

CMOTDibbler Wed 04-Jan-17 12:18:27

Mum certainly doesn't recognise food, though she hasn't tried to eat inappropriate things yet. She went through a very difficult toddler like phase of spitting and flicking food

Adelie0404 Wed 04-Jan-17 16:38:54

Thanks CMOT - I'm sure you don't make horrible pies!
Mum has probably fronto-temporal dementia. I've read up on it and she fits the pattern. I can't help thinking back = she was odd since her 50s and was distressingly rude to my friends when I was a teenager, who would not come to my house - I always went to theirs. . She certainly had an odd personality then and it gradually got worse. It must be a slower developing sort of disease. Now in the inappropriate oral phase and she certainly does overeat. She'll eat anything in front of her. Thanks for your support - it's helpful to talk to other people

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Wed 04-Jan-17 16:58:23

My DF has fronto temporal dementia with non fluent aphasia. It is hell.

He struggles badly with his mobility and is getting very frail. We have bought him a wheelchair to facilitate trips out, but getting him in and out of the car is challenging to say the least. He just doesn't have the ability to make his legs work. He does still speak a little, but can go days with out saying anything. He does still eat well, but coughs when eats. This is a function of the disease.

My mother is converting the garage into an ensuite bedroom now as he isn't going to be able to manage stairs soon.

my heart goes out to all those suffering from or coping with the effects of this cruel disease.

Adelie0404 Wed 04-Jan-17 20:17:45

Hi Madame - your poor mother. At least my stepfather died before my mum got too bad and he asked me to look after her - he knew what was happening. As if I wouldn't! It is heartbreaking indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now