Advanced search
In partnership with Red & Yellow Care

mums health

(2 Posts)
SuperSic58 Thu 26-May-16 17:23:12

Hello everyone! I've posted this here aswell as I'm not sure I posted it in the right forum!

My first post here so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

So, my mum who is in her early 70's seems recently to have started struggling with short term memory and anxiety. Long story short my dad passed away a few years ago, and she seems to be coping less and less on a daily basis. We took her away recently with family friends and it became obvious that mentally she isn't totally there with us, she spent the week reciting the same story over and over to us and joining in on conversation only to reference something that was utterly not related to subject matter.
She claims to have a busy social life to me but I have reason for concern on how true this is. I also don't think she's eating properly. She's taking medication for anxiety now and part of me is wondering either his has contributed to her cognition problems.

I'm really not too sure what I should do, I believe I can arrange a geriatric assessment for her but don't really know what that entails.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation that can provide advice? Or anyone really!

Just to add, some friends and family have all noticed and commented on this so I'm definitely convinced something completely right with her!


Kwirrell Thu 26-May-16 18:11:39

Firstly you have to get your mums agreement to the assesment. Either she will need to make an appoint with her GP or you can contact the LA to ask for an assessment. They will telephone her to get her permission.

If she agrees the first step will be a short appointment with the GP and a blood test.

Generally speaking the next step is an appointment at the memory clinic. This is between 30 mins to an hour. She will be asked questions, requested to draw certain things, and recite back an address.

Following that there is sometimes a brain scan then a further assessment. Your mum can refuse the scan if she finds it scary. Some health authorities offer a different type of scan where the patient does not have to go into the tube.

Hope this helps. Might be a good time to get PoA and also become a joint signee on bank accounts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now