Talk

Advanced search
In partnership with Red & Yellow Care

New Alzheimers diagnosis in FIL - best resources please

(3 Posts)
PurpleWithRed Sat 15-Aug-15 09:42:49

To nobody's surprise FIL has been diagnosed with early stage Alzheimers. What are the best sources of information and help for us and possibly for MIL? We've also got them started on Power of Attorney - any other must-dos while he is the early stages?

bilbodog Sat 15-Aug-15 10:37:40

Hi - my father had this some years ago now. Good place to start is the Alzheimers Society which will have lots of information regarding all sorts of things. Although I didn't look after my father on a day to day basis I did find it useful joining and getting the regular newsletter and these days there are forums out there where you can get lots of tips and insight into how people deal with the problems and even how some of the people themselves feel when suffering the disease. Some of those I found very insightful. There are probably local support groups as well. Power of Attorney is a very good thing to get sorted. Wishing you and your family all the best.

florentina1 Sat 15-Aug-15 14:29:46

Ageuk is great for help and support. Also, read up as much as you can. Sadly everyone who suffers from Alzheimer's, suffers in their own unique way. There is no right way of dealing with your FiL and, as the disease progresses his responses and needs will change.

My only advice would be not to challenge any misconceptions he has. If he thinks it is Tuesday when it's Wednesday, go along with it.

For my mum routine was very important. She would ask the same question over and over again and we found that answering with exactly the same words and tone calmed her.

You may pm me if you need to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now