Talk

Advanced search
In partnership with Red & Yellow Care

Elderly parents neglected by home carers

(8 Posts)
Trousers1 Fri 31-Jul-15 15:05:10

Has anyone had an experience with a home carer (for themselves or their parents) where they have neglected the person's care because they do not have enough time on the call? I am thinking specifically of carers provided by the local authorities - I have heard some horror stories and wanted to get a fuller picture.

MummyBtothree Sun 02-Aug-15 07:47:56

Ive got to say, I took a job as a home carer before I had my kiddies and left after one day. I was getting 'told off' for going over my time with clients, which was very often just a ten minute call at a time, then having to travel to my next client which if you run over time with one person it has a domino effect so people had a tendency to rush. I personally didnt feel able to not deliver the standard of care I was happy with so left. That is to say im sure all companies aren't the same. I hope everything goes well.

MummyBtothree Sun 02-Aug-15 07:48:18

Ive got to say, I took a job as a home carer before I had my kiddies and left after one day. I was getting 'told off' for going over my time with clients, which was very often just a ten minute call at a time, then having to travel to my next client which if you run over time with one person it has a domino effect so people had a tendency to rush. I personally didnt feel able to not deliver the standard of care I was happy with so left. That is to say im sure all companies aren't the same. I hope everything goes well.

VulcanWoman Sun 02-Aug-15 08:01:04

The time given to carers to do their job properly is absolutely ridiculous. My Mum had home carers before she moved to care home and there just wasn't enough time to do the basics like personal care and to prepare some food, let alone chat to see how they are actually doing. I think one hour minimum per visit is needed. This is so important to get right, the people in need are being failed by the system and it's a disgrace.

VulcanWoman Sun 02-Aug-15 08:12:47

Just to add, my Mums home care was through an agency.
The care home where my Mum lives now is a local authority and is really good, better than a lot of the privately run homes.
Just noticed you're here to advertise!!

Trousers1 Mon 03-Aug-15 09:41:22

Thanks ladies!

Not here to advertise (I think the thread is sponsored - not sure how that works?), I just wondered what experiences others have had. I have heard some terrible things - for both the carers and patients - but there doesn't seem to be much info out there. My partners' Gran is getting to the stage where she might need some help - but I am a bit concerned about it. It would be good to get some anecdotal evidence on which companies to avoid?

Thanks smile

VulcanWoman Mon 03-Aug-15 10:02:05

The best thing to do is get a list of local homes and go around and view, you don't have to make an appointment, just turn up, that's what I did, they showed me around, I had a list of questions to ask too. Unfortunately more than half weren't very good or wouldn't take people with Dementia.

VulcanWoman Mon 03-Aug-15 10:08:42

Just wanted to add, if sheltered Housing is available and would be suitable, best to try that first.
Sorry, just noticed your thread title, if you wanted to try home carers first, Age UK used to do a Helping Hands service, not sure if they still provide this, think I would start there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now