Talk

Advanced search
In partnership with Red & Yellow Care

What to do about toilet issues?

(12 Posts)
PetiteOrange Fri 06-Feb-15 11:52:06

My dad has Lewy body dementia caused by Parkinson's disease. Recently he's unable to wipe his bottom after emptying his bowels.
I'm finding it difficult cleaning him with 2 children under 3 at home when he's with me during the day.

Is this the kind of stuff carers do? He has unpredictable bowel movements throughout the day and there's a lot of it to wipe and clean, so how would it work for carers to come and clean him at home?

SirVixofVixHall Fri 06-Feb-15 11:57:34

My dad had this, i am so sorry you are having to deal with it as it is ghastly i know. My Mum had a bad fall and could no longer help Dad and so yes, carers did do this. My Dad managed well himself for all but the last year-18m, so it wasn't a huge problem, but then the carers helped. Dad couldn't have coped with me doing this for him, but perhaps your fathers Lewy body is more advanced? My mum bought those wipe tissues to help Dad clean himself more easily.
Are you getting all the help you are entitled to?

PetiteOrange Fri 06-Feb-15 12:10:12

Thank you SirVix, yes it's horrible seeing him unable to do simple things anymore. sad.

He seems to not care/understand that he must clean himself and wash his hands. I have wipes and he uses them sometimes but because there is so much poo and his hands and arms don't work well he doesn't do a good job and ends up with it on his hands so it's best I do it.

Is doing this much poo normal with dementia? He does so much it amazes me. I must admit he eats alot too though but it just comes out it seems all the time.

I must contact the GP and discuss carers option.

PetiteOrange Fri 06-Feb-15 12:11:07

Yes we have help with the attendance allowance and carers benefit to pay for nappies as they're so expensive.

SirVixofVixHall Fri 06-Feb-15 12:23:17

I am not sure about the amount of poo, my dad had problems with constipation, which could have been due to the meds he was on. I agree going to chat to his GP is a good idea, as perhaps there is an issue causing him bowel issues. My Dad's lewy body was only apparent emotionally really, he had terrible nightmares and delusions. How is your Dad's vision? Is that a factor? I understand that his fine motor control will have gone which makes wiping tricky, but perhaps he can't see that he is in a bit of a mess? You sound super human to be dealing with this as well as small children. How long has your Dad had Parks?

rumgy Fri 06-Feb-15 12:26:47

Would he be able to use something like this ?

www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/toileting/toilets-with-integral-wash-and-dry-facility-1717-p/

PetiteOrange Fri 06-Feb-15 12:45:17

He was diagnosed in 2005, but only got worse in 2011. 2012 he completely went downhill. It was shocking how quickly he deteriorated.

Yes he has horrible hallucinations and sees strange things all day from people to animals. Right now he can see 2 lions in the middle of the room and he's trying to get up to shoo them away!
His vision is fine too. He wears glasses and was checked recently.

I share care with my sister so it's half the work really, but am struggling with the bowel issues as I'm potty training a 3 year old and have a baby, so it seems like I'm forever changing and cleaning nappies. Someone to just come in and do that bit would be really helpful.

Such a horrible illness. It's not living is it? sad.

rumgy that toilet looks amazing. Will look into it and show my sister.

TranmereRover Fri 06-Feb-15 12:51:35

I am having a bathroom fitted at the moment, and the bathroom shop tell me they are fitting a LOT of those wash and blow dry loos in multi generation homes / older people's houses. Leaves everyone with more dignity.

SirVixofVixHall Fri 06-Feb-15 14:37:41

It is a terrible illness. I have a real fear of getting it, having seen everything my poor Dad went through. My Dad was diagnosed at around the age I am now, 51, so he was quite young to have it. He died of it at 77 two years ago. I wish he hadn't had his final year, he was in hospital for all of it, but until then he still had enjoyment in life, even though things were pretty grim overall.
Could you call age concern and ask what help you could have? Or would the gP know? My parents had a social worker who organised their care as my brother and I both lived some distance away and my Mum was struggling to care for Dad once he needed lifting etc, so I didn't have any part in organising the carers.

aprilherbertlovely Thu 11-Jun-15 22:46:25

This beds can help minimize toilet issues

www.easyrest.com/

CocktailQueen Thu 11-Jun-15 22:50:27

How can a bed help to minimise toilet issues?!

HemanOrSheRa Thu 11-Jun-15 23:04:00

Lewy Body is dreadful sad. Can your Dad actually see the toilet roll? People with Dementia get problems with distinguishing colours and lose visual spatial/depth perception. I'm sure you know that. So for example, a white toilet roll against a white wall may not be visible to them. We had great success in work, with a lady who started to get in a terrible mess and smearing poo everywhere, by getting her black toilet roll. She could then actually see the toilet paper and fortunately that 'embedded memory' of what to do was still there. I appreciate your Dad may have poor motor skills though.

Carers should be able to come in and support with his toileting needs. The frequency may be a problem though. You need to ring Adult Care Services in your area and self refer. Also, does your GP have a Community Nurse for Older People? They are fantastic and can help with referrals and also do continence assessments so may be able to get pads delivered to you at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now