Talk

Advanced search

Things to do in/near Keighley?

(21 Posts)
roisin Tue 16-Aug-05 18:57:39

We are going next week for a few days with db and sil; what are your top recommendations - my boys are 6 and 8.

DS2 would certainly love to go on the train, but ds1 wouldn't.

I'm sure ds1 especially (wants to be an author!) would like to see the tiny Bronte books at the Parsonage, but I'm not sure it would really be worth the effort.

They would jump at the chance to visit Eureka again, but I think ds1 is getting a bit big for it now really.

I wonder about the Leeds Armouries, but they have a tendency to be fairly violent anyway, and I'm not sure it would help Has anyone been recently.

Yorkiegirl Tue 16-Aug-05 18:59:13

Message withdrawn

helsi Tue 16-Aug-05 18:59:20

Bradsford has a colour museum and the museum of film and photography. Bradford is very near Keighley. Keighley has a railway toothat do some nice trips. Thomas was there recently.

roisin Tue 16-Aug-05 19:05:04

Hi Helsi and YG!
YG - How are you?
I went to the Armouries just after it opened, and it was brilliant: loads of actors demonstrating/explaining stuff. But I know they've had financial problems there. Have you been recently? Do they still have loads of "explainers"?

Yorkiegirl Tue 16-Aug-05 19:06:53

Message withdrawn

roisin Tue 16-Aug-05 19:08:40

Ooh I've just been googling the film and photography museum: that looks great. I'd much rather see that than Eureka again

dropinthe Tue 16-Aug-05 19:10:22

There is Saltash Mills to go to -someone help me out-famous artist studios there????

Hulababy Tue 16-Aug-05 19:13:59

roisin - I have a 2 for 1 voucher for the Armouries AND for the National Museum of Photography, if you decide to go to either of them.

I also have vouchers for:

Thackray Museum in Leeds

National Coalmining museum in Wakefield - free entry anyway, but voucher for free guide book

Harwood House near Leeds

roisin Tue 16-Aug-05 19:17:09

Oh Mills - that's just reminded me, isn't there a working mill museum or something where North and South was filmed?

Maybe I could get db and sil to take the kids to the armouries, and I could go to the mills and dream of Richard Armitage

assumedname Tue 16-Aug-05 19:21:50

The castle in Keighley?

roisin Tue 16-Aug-05 19:29:29

Hula - thanks for the offer. Could you send me vouchers for:
Harwood House and
The Thackray Museum

Thanks, Roisin

(Armouries and Film Museum are free anyway, and methinks they won't be interested in the extra exhibitions.)

Do you still have my address somewhere?

laligo Tue 16-Aug-05 19:45:26

The Worth Valley steam railway runs from Keighley to Haworth and it is a great day out for kids - and Haworth is nice, touristy but fun and the Bronte parsonage is really good, I loved seeing those little books and stuff when I was a kid. I would do that.

Also - Cliffe Castle museum is OK but not that exciting, though it has a nice park for running around. Cowling Pinnacles are a few miles out of town overlooking Cowling - there is a great tower you can climb up inside (though that's all, no park, shops or anything just a tower!). Bradford photography museum is also great and has IMAX screenings.

roisin Tue 16-Aug-05 19:47:31

Gosh there's so much to do, isn't there? I'm so used to living where there are only 2 'attractions' in less than 40 mins drive. (Discounting fabulous lakes, mountains, and coastline of course!)

roisin Tue 16-Aug-05 19:47:44

Thanks all

Hulababy Tue 16-Aug-05 19:48:03

Can you e-mail me your address then - claireandrich(at)beeb(dot)net

Not sure what my vouchers are for then - as both say 2 for 1, when purchased with a full paying ticket. Not avail for IMAX, etc???

If you do go to the Photography place you must try the IMAX cinema - it's fab Even DD loves it!

Miaou Tue 16-Aug-05 19:53:38

dropinthe, you mean Salts Mill at Saltaire, where a lot of David Hockney's paintings are exhibited. There is a wonderful bookshop there too; however I doubt there is enough to keep two boys interested for an afternoon.

The Museum of Photography, Film and Television in Bradford has an IMAX screen - one of those five-storey jobbies - absolutely fantastic experience!

I grew up just outside Bradford, so have many happy memories of that area!

I think there is still an ice-skating rink in Bradford too!

Haworth is really nice Roisin - as well as the Parsonage, it is a very old-fashioned sort of place - cobbled streets and Ye Olde Shoppes (a bit touristy but not too tacky) - plus lovely countryside too.

Have a lovely time

Yorkiegirl Tue 16-Aug-05 19:55:57

Message withdrawn

Miaou Tue 16-Aug-05 19:56:29

Snap Hula!!

helsi Tue 16-Aug-05 20:15:03

skipton castle - not too far from Keighley and skipton as a market toen is worth a visit for the adults

dropinthe Wed 17-Aug-05 10:35:00

Yes Miau-that exactly where I meant!

fifilala Wed 17-Aug-05 11:05:34

if you get a nice day - take a picnic and go to Bolton abbey, can have a really lovely day by the river, take games etc and barbques! and try and negotiate the stepping stones!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: