Talk

Advanced search

manchester area

(21 Posts)
Janbo25 Mon 08-Aug-05 21:50:18

looking after 5 year old tomorrow need tips on what to do and where to go, i have a ds who is 7 months to

Gobbledigook Mon 08-Aug-05 21:51:13

Urbis

Science museum

Nemo1977 Mon 08-Aug-05 21:51:26

the science museum is supposed to be good but not been myself

stacijc Mon 08-Aug-05 21:51:40

did u not already post this or was it someone else?

Janbo25 Mon 08-Aug-05 21:54:50

i have posted put only just found this thread which i thought was more appropriate, ideally wanted somewhere to which is suitable for ds?

marthamoo Mon 08-Aug-05 21:55:00

What's Urbis, gdg?

SaintGeorge Mon 08-Aug-05 21:56:56

Urbis too boring for a 5 year old. Displays very text heavy and most of the interactive stuff not working when we were there last week.

SaintGeorge Mon 08-Aug-05 22:04:19

marthamoo - Urbis

Janbo25 Mon 08-Aug-05 22:04:27

ok anymore ideas then?

marthamoo Mon 08-Aug-05 22:05:56

Thanks, SG - very impressive building but it does look rather dry for little ones (plus lots of awkward questions if you took them into the Punk exhibition )

marthamoo Mon 08-Aug-05 22:08:59

Do you have a car? If it's a nice day I'd do an outside thing - something like Bruntwood Park (Stockport really) here It has a really good play area - and a cafe, or you could take a picnic.

Wid Mon 08-Aug-05 22:13:03

The weather's going to be good tomorrow, so get them outside. Suggest Dunham Massey, Wythenshawe Farm, Stockley Working Farm (or even Lyme Park) in South Manchester; I don't frequent North Manchester with kids, but have been to Heaton Park once with 4-year old and that was good.

Good Luck

bobbybob Mon 08-Aug-05 22:13:51

The kids bit in the art gallery is excellent and free.

dot1 Mon 08-Aug-05 22:25:04

Another vote for Dunham Massey - our ds's (3&1) love it - ducks to feed, a working water wheel, deer poos (and occasionally deer) to examine - and a fab shop and restaurant for Mummies! The restaurant has a kids' section so is also perfect for them!

It's one of our favourite places to go when the weather's nice!

marthamoo Mon 08-Aug-05 22:27:08

I don't belive there are deer at Dunham Massey, Dot - I think they import the deer poo and litter it around the place.

Styal Mill is good too.

dot1 Mon 08-Aug-05 22:30:28

Marthamoo! Styal's fab, but not brilliant if you've got a pushchair - tons of steps inside the mill. I know they lend out baby backpack carrier thingies, but our ds2 was a bit of a weight to carry around! But the playground's fab and outdoors bits.

Another vote also for Bruntwood park - I love it 'cos it's got separate play area sections, so you can waste/spend loads of time just going from one bit to the other and the kids get excited each time!!

marthamoo Mon 08-Aug-05 22:35:42

Good point - I've an 8 year old and a 3 year old so they just ran round the mill like lunatics ("sorry, nice NT volunteer - I'm sure your working loom is very interesting but I have to gooooooooo....") - it isn't at all pushchair accessible really.

My two love the spinning turny handle thing and the climbing wall in the play area though.

Gobbledigook Mon 08-Aug-05 23:42:47

Dunham is great - take a bike for the 5 yr old. Bruntwood also good but we don't know where you are!!

Wythenshawe park is free and has a little farm, a rainforest junge thing which is great and quite a nice play area. Although last time we noticed that everyone there with a dog had a nasty pit bull type thing NOT on a lead - bit scarey! AND my friends ds1 fell on the grass and got literally covered in dog poo - lesson of the story - stay off the fields and remain in play area!!

Gobbledigook Mon 08-Aug-05 23:43:40

At Wythy park we also saw 2 18ish year old lads doing wheelies and tricks on a supermarket cage/pallet type thing.

You don't get that in Dunham

Janh Mon 08-Aug-05 23:46:50

The Museum of Science and Industry (to give it its Sunday name) is fab - loads of mechanical bits and pieces, various activities and mostly free.

Have a roam around the website.

Janh Mon 08-Aug-05 23:49:25

Dinosaur Encounter atm (it's extra of course!)

There is a quite a lot of outdoors trekking between buildings so you don't miss the sunshine altogether.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now