Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anything to do in/around Galsgow next week?

(15 Posts)
Pinotmum Wed 03-Aug-05 11:20:00

Hi, we're up to visit mil this Friday and will be staying for a week in Glasgow. MIL doesn't live in the most interesting place in Scotland so we will be hiring a car and trying to get out and about. DD is almost 5 and ds is almost 3 so if anyone can make any recommendations for entertainment it would be appreciated. Also any news on the weather would be good as mil says the weathers always great but then she is bonkers!! Thanks

Aimsmum Wed 03-Aug-05 11:22:08

Message withdrawn

Pinotmum Wed 03-Aug-05 11:28:14

Hi Aimsmum We were speaking to my bil yesterday and he says it's shorts weather so it not just mil who's bonkers!! The weathers rubbish here as well though We were thinking of trying to find a Highlands Games somewhere as dd saw one on Balamory - LOL. We may even drive up to Oban and stay for a night. What I'd really like to do is take the children to any country parks/forests with animals where they can run about. MIL doesn't have a garden and lives on a council estate will little greenery. The problem is dh's bothers children are quite a bit older than ours so they are stumped for suggestions. We would also go to the science centre in Glasgow - do you think this would be suitable for an almost 5 and 3 yo?

Pinotmum Wed 03-Aug-05 11:29:07

brothers not bothers

Aimsmum Wed 03-Aug-05 11:36:29

Message withdrawn

Pinotmum Wed 03-Aug-05 11:41:09

MIL is in Maryhill area (Summerston). I know dh has been looking on some sites so I'll have a good look at yours as well. Sorry for getting you in trouble Thanks

Aimsmum Wed 03-Aug-05 11:43:36

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Wed 03-Aug-05 11:46:42

Message withdrawn

babynovice Wed 03-Aug-05 11:55:37

Hi Pinotmum, there's a website called www.glasgow.gov.uk that will give you info on parks and outdoor spaces - I think Pollok park would be a good day out, and you would catch the family day which is on Saturday 6th. The weather forecast doesn't look too bad for the weekend either
I'm a weegie (Glaswegian) myself but now live closer to Edinburgh and I can recommend Edinburgh Zoo for a day out - we recently took dd there and she really enjoyed it even though she's only 10mths old. It's a 45min jaunt along the M8 (depending on which part of Glasgow you're staying in) but could be worth a trip.
Hope you have fun

babynovice Wed 03-Aug-05 11:56:26

Aimsmum - great minds think alike! Sorry for crossed posts

Pinotmum Wed 03-Aug-05 13:09:02

Many thanks for the suggestions. I'd better get packing now

Aimsmum Wed 03-Aug-05 14:24:05

Message withdrawn

Skribble Thu 04-Aug-05 00:43:23

The transport museum and scotland street school museum are both free and old favourites of my kids both can be reached on the underground to save a days car hire. Kelvingrove park beside the transport museum is good if the weather is dry.

The park beside the Peoples Palace museum is great with big high slides and a seperate area for the younger ones. The peoples palace itself is interesting all about glasgow and its people maybe to old for your kids depending on their museum tolerance, its free so even if you just use the cafe.

I can recommend the China Buffet King \link and {http://www.list.co.uk/restaurants/glasgow/wheelchair_disabled/?q=u,v1281,o10\other location}, loads for kids mini pizza, sausage rolls grated cheese, carrots, cold meat, mini sausages as well as the traditional chinese food, my favourite is the ribs.

Skribble Thu 04-Aug-05 00:44:13

The transport museum and scotland street school museum are both free and old favourites of my kids both can be reached on the underground to save a days car hire. Kelvingrove park beside the transport museum is good if the weather is dry.

The park beside the Peoples Palace museum is great with big high slides and a seperate area for the younger ones. The peoples palace itself is interesting all about glasgow and its people maybe to old for your kids depending on their museum tolerance, its free so even if you just use the cafe.

I can recommend the China Buffet King and other location , loads for kids mini pizza, sausage rolls grated cheese, carrots, cold meat, mini sausages as well as the traditional chinese food, my favourite is the ribs.

ssd Tue 09-Aug-05 20:15:00

Hi Pinot, don't know if you've been and gone already but here's some more suggestions just in case.

Culzean Castle is brilliant for a day's visit, as is Kelburn Country Park near Largs. Kelburn has great play areas and lots of animals and wild birds. Blair Drummond zoo is great too with a big play area. Also Loudon Counrty theme park is a fairground park with big rides and little ones for the teenies.

Enjoy yourself whatever you do, I think the weather has been good most unusually!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now