Talk

Advanced search

anyone been to Legoland this week - is it really packed???

(38 Posts)
bagpussmice Tue 26-Jul-05 20:32:15

thinking of going next week, but won't bother if queues are 30+ mins and it's heaving - has anyone been this week -what's it like (I mean, is it busy - have been there before so know what it's like IFSWIM!!!)

jane313 Sat 30-Jul-05 09:06:31

yes, it was terrible. we hardly went on anything as my son at 2 can't queue. I had never been before so not really impressed. We had been to Chessington which was much better (on a hot saturday in june not school hols) as there were fewer things for little kids so they weren't so crowded.

emily05 Sat 30-Jul-05 11:46:12

Jane - dont let the crowded issue put you off for the future - we went a couple of months ago (non school holiday time) and it was great and we didnt have to cue for anything and ds (who is nearly 3) loved it. So if you get the chance to go again when it is less crowded I would

jane313 Sat 30-Jul-05 12:01:15

was it a weekend? dh is a teacher so we have to go in the busiest time. Loved the water bit but it was a bit cold!

JOSIE3 Sat 30-Jul-05 12:04:40

Was there yesterday with two 9 year olds (who still love it!) and a 5 year old.

5 yr old has DS and can't wait for long periods, so we go to front of queue and managed most rides once (that were appropriate) and still had a couple of hours in the playground/waterpark - which was the favourite I think!!

Two nine year olds were a bit hard done to though - four rides in 5 hours - queues for everything!! Poor babes - but they obviously favoured the bigger rides, with longest lines

I think little ones will be fine because of the waterpark / playarea plus the shows and cool lego models. What put me off was the price - £90 for one adult(one was free as a carer)and three kids. Found chessington to be cheaper.

Have fun whatever you decide to do!!

emily05 Sat 30-Jul-05 12:11:36

jane - no it was week day which is probably no good for you then.

Josie - totally agree about the price - it is about the same price as a day ticket to Eurodisney!!!!

foxinsocks Sat 30-Jul-05 12:12:07

I so sympathise with people who've been there and had a bad time. We went 2 years ago and it was hell and we've never been back - we got there as it opened, queued for over an hour to get into the car park, nothing (not even the tiddly kid's things) had less than a half an hour queue - we were there all day and only got to go on 4 actual rides. We also lost dd for around 5 minutes in the play area bit. It was a living hell.

We then went to Chessington and it was like a breath of fresh air.

My kids love lego and they love the look of legoland but the rides were a major disappointment and it was so crowded, you couldn't even get an ice cream without queueing.

One of our family friends said the only way she got around it was buying an annual pass or a weekend pass and then not being stressed about not doing everything in one day (that would be too expensive for us but I can see the logic in it).

jane313 Sat 30-Jul-05 12:30:09

The year passes to legoland are better value than chessington and we were thinking of getting one but we got that go again for free in september ticket instead. Maybe we will go very early or very late.

I got free tickets for chessington cos the toddler ride we were on crashed then I tripped over the rail getting out whilst carrying my son and gashed my arm. We could have become part of the compensation culture and demanded a year pass but we got free tickets. They are meant to be opening a water bit next year.

foxinsocks Sat 30-Jul-05 12:45:16

jane, you poor thing!

I do think, if you could take all the people out, Legoland is a better day out (certainly for little ones) but it does make such a difference (especially if they are at tantrum age) if you don't have to queue for everything!

My sister went to Legoland last week and got there late and stayed till it closed and said the last 2 hours, it completely emptied out so maybe the going late is a good plan.

Catsmother Tue 02-Aug-05 15:12:21

Admittedly, I have never been to LL during summer holidays but have definitely always gone on a Saturday. Have always found it to be far more pleasurable than most other theme parks (could look at the lego models for hours, even if the kids want to rush off) and have rarely faced queues of more than 10 mins or so, the exception being the Driving School.

I'd guess it could well be exceptionally busy during the 1st couple of weeks of summer ??

Kayleigh Tue 02-Aug-05 15:18:34

oh bottoms - we were planning to go next week on thursday as dh is off work. I really don't fancy spending all day queueing.

We got our tickets with our Tesco Clubcard vouchers - approx £25 worth of tesco vouchers got us tickets for 2 adults and 2 children - over £90 pounds worth. Well worth doing.

bundle Tue 02-Aug-05 15:19:16

kayleigh, dd1 has gone with her playscheme today, i'll ask them how busy it was today if you like

Kayleigh Tue 02-Aug-05 15:23:29

thanks bundle - would appreciate it.

dh insisted on printing off all the info from the website yesterday and showing it to the boys last night. I told him to wait as if it was pouring with rain i wasn't going to go - and if they knew about it they'd be devastated. Like I thought they are both so excited now, they want to go on everything, and there is no way I'm going to be able to get out of it unless there is a monsoon

bettys Tue 02-Aug-05 15:33:06

For those with pre-school children the best time to go is September when the school's have gone back - my ds's school starts reception a week late - it was deserted when we went & we could just stay on the rides. Failing that, going late works well too. We went last month on a very busy Friday (a lot of schools had In set days) but managed to go on the Dragon ride 4 times by staying till the bitter end!

Kayleigh Tue 02-Aug-05 15:34:29

What time does legoland close ?

jane313 Tue 02-Aug-05 15:35:37

7pm in august
Thats good to know saturdays aren't always heaving

Kayleigh Tue 02-Aug-05 15:36:48

thanks jane313. Maybe we will stay till the end then put the boys in their pyjamas for drive home.

Kayleigh Wed 03-Aug-05 08:01:42

bundle did your dd1 have a lovely time yesterday ? At least it stayed dry for them.
Did you manage to find out how busy it was ?

bundle Wed 03-Aug-05 11:11:23

Kayleigh they got back v late because they'd gone by coach and the roads were v busy (due back around 4.15, got back 5.30) and I had a brief word with one of the carers this morning - she said that the rides for the "big ones" (ie the ones with height restrictions, rollercoasters etc) had very long queues (1 hr 30 ) but the little ones like dd1 got to go on more rides because their queues were much shorter. tbh dd1 has talked more about the lego figures (big one on swing etc) more than the rides ..so sorry the queueing news isn't good

Kayleigh Wed 03-Aug-05 11:23:32

1 hour and 30 mins. AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

bundle Wed 03-Aug-05 11:43:59

I know, ...those would be the rides you'd want, then?

Kayleigh Wed 03-Aug-05 11:55:43

Yup, they would be the ones. I am going to have a little chat with dh tonight and see if I can persuade him to change arrangements. Will have to find something else to do with boys next week but that shouldn't be too big a problem. Ds1 will only throw a minor fit

bundle Wed 03-Aug-05 11:58:58

oooops

Kayleigh Wed 03-Aug-05 12:01:37

I can see the reasoning in "if we go next week you will only be able to go on 4 rides all day and we will have to stand in loads of quesues OR we can go in September on a weekend and you'll be able to go on loads more rides and the quesues will be shorter"

I can see the reasoning, but will my 7 year old ds. NO.

bundle Wed 03-Aug-05 12:03:11

no, 7 yr olds live in parallel universe where Now is Important, September is Pointless and Vague...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now