Talk

Advanced search

Kingussie Wildlife Park, Near Aviemore

(5 Posts)
Miaou Fri 15-Jul-05 12:45:32

Particularly for anyone holidaying in the area over the next few weeks....

Access - easy to find, well signposted.

Entrance fees - we paid £29 for a family ticket. That is for two adults and up to three children, or two adults, two kids and an OAP. They also had discounted rates.

The place - it is basically about Scottish Wildlife past and present - both animals that live here now and those that became extinct in Scotland thousands of years ago. There are loads to see in a fairly natural environment.

First you drive around a track from which you see bison, soay sheep, mouflon (sheep/goat), Przewalski horses (wild horses), wolves, red deer, wild boar and probably more I can't remember! You can drive round as many times as you like (we went round twice because we spotted the ranger going round with the feed the second time).

There is a good sized car park, with a shop, cafe and toilets. Unfortunately the toilets were wholly inadequate - only two womens toilets which were hot, smelly and very small (I could hardly fit my 8 month bump in a cubicle). There is a baby changing area for which you have to collect a key from the shop in order to use it. That's about the only criticism I would make. The cafe was light, spacious, the staff friendly and the cakes delicious. We brought a picnic lunch and had no difficulty finding a nice spot to eat(picnic bench), although I could imagine that at busier times it might be harder to find somewhere.

As well as the drive round place, there are several walks you can take, divided into habitats (woodland, wetland etc). We saw polecats, wild cats, owls, lynx, pine martens, elks, grouse, badgers and lots more. There are rangers about who are very happy to answer any questions - they obviously enjoy their work. They also take tours round (included in the ticket price) to feed the animals and talk about them.

Each of the walks is circular, beginning and ending in the carpark, so there plenty of opportunities to take a break for a rest/loo/eating etc. There is also a small children's play area (adventure playground type) which was in good repair.

We were there for four and a half hours and could have stayed longer. Our dds are 6 and 8 and loved every minute of it. There were lots of younger children there who really enjoyed it too, and lots of people pushing pushchairs around. I would say that not all of it was suitable for wheelchairs, but some certainly was.

Sorry this is so long - but I would certainly reccommend a visit if you are in the area!

Miaou Fri 15-Jul-05 20:47:53

bump for the evening crowd

ja9 Fri 15-Jul-05 20:50:11

i'll 2nd this miaou! I took my p6 class there last may and we were all fascinated! Our guide was FANTASTIC! A great day out.

Skribble Sun 17-Jul-05 23:29:11

I was there about 2 years ago and kids were 3 and 5 and loved it. Easy to miss the walks if you don't know they are there, worth doing it all.

giraffeski Sun 17-Jul-05 23:30:18

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now