Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Day Off - London - On My Own - NO KIDS!

(14 Posts)
GeorginaA Sun 03-Jul-05 14:13:25

What to do?!!

Next weekend we're going to my inlaws, and as dh has a meeting in London the next day we've decided to extend the stay and inlaws keep the kids an extra day. This gives me a WHOLE childfree day rattling around London - please give me some ideas of what to do with it!

I will be taking my camera so would like to spend some time getting some arty shots, but would also like to do some touristy things... maybe a LOOOOONG cup of coffee with a paper just because I can, lol.

Need ideas for indoors/outdoors stuff in case the weather is foul. Help me plan a dream day off, please!

WideWebWitch Sun 03-Jul-05 14:59:29

Oh how lovely GeorginaA, how exciting. Well, yes, I think you have to have a coffee and read the paper cover to cover just because you can! If it was me I'd find out what exhibitions are on, stroll around some beautiful, quiet buildings, go to the cinema in the middle of the day, have lunch in a child unfriendly impractical restaurant, ooh, have a lovely time! What do you like?

WideWebWitch Sun 03-Jul-05 15:04:19

What about seeing what's on at Tate Modern or The National Portrait Gallery or here's a Whats on London Guide, and Time Out plus Harvey Nicks summer sale is on!

GeorginaA Sun 03-Jul-05 15:18:09

Oooo good idea about the galleries - hadn't thought of that. Lunch in a child unfriendly restaurant is a requirement I think - recommendations?

Better avoid any sales - can't spend too much really as budget is feeling a little stretched at the moment, unfortunately!

GeorginaA Sun 03-Jul-05 15:19:01

Actually, really fancy going to see the Natural History museum - haven't been there for AGES...

GeorginaA Sun 03-Jul-05 19:02:03

*shameless bumpage for the evening crowd*

Still looking for loads of ideas

Gem13 Sun 03-Jul-05 19:10:33

Do go to the National Portrait Gallery and check out the BP Portrait Award on until September. Always excellent.

From there you can walk to Covent Garden and hang out, have a coffee.

What about getting on an open top tourbus? London Eye? Matinee at the National Theatre?

GeorginaA Sun 03-Jul-05 19:11:39

OOOO tourbus - sounds fun - all the time I lived there I have never done that. Are they expensive?

SoupDragon Sun 03-Jul-05 19:33:57

Nice view of St Pauls across the Milennium Bridge (or the Wibbley Wobbley Bridge as DH insists on calling it) from the Tate Modern.

popmum Sun 03-Jul-05 19:48:08

go to selfridges - great restaurents in there for during the day and no probs about eating on your own - and you can always imagine what designer handbag you'd be buying!

bambi06 Sun 03-Jul-05 20:31:22

chill out in covent garden with your latte and a paper and watch the street entertainers

dinny Sun 03-Jul-05 20:33:31

ooooh, go for a treatment in the Sanctuary...

spidermama Sun 03-Jul-05 20:36:11

Weather permitting, a walk along the South Bank always does it for me. If you're lucky there are free shows and exhibitions outside Festival Hall at this time of year.

Earlybird Sun 03-Jul-05 20:42:27

I've never done it, but know you can take a boat ride from Tate Britain to Tate Modern. You could see exhibitions in both museums, and also walk across the footbridge to St. Paul's if you wanted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now