Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for something 'different' to do on a girly day out in London please.

(9 Posts)
DissLocated Sat 02-Jul-05 17:00:40

I'm meeting a friend in London for a day out next weekend and am looking for ideas for what we can do that's not too bog standard touristy - any suggestions?

Has anyone been to vinopolis, what's it like?

snafu Sat 02-Jul-05 17:04:27

I've had lunch in the restaurant and remember it being good, but it was a few years ago. How about going to Tate Modern and then walk to Vinopolis? And you could stop off afterwards at the Monmouth Coffee Shop near Borough Market as well - my favourite.

sorrel Sat 02-Jul-05 17:09:39

go for afternoon tea somewhere posh

DissLocated Sat 02-Jul-05 17:17:13

Ooh - excellent suggestions, love the idea of afternoon tea and was wondering about Borough Market as well (have just bought a Jamie cook book!)

Thanks

sorrel Sat 02-Jul-05 17:43:10

tea at the ritz
looks pricey but reckon it would be brilliant and memorable!

wavingordrowning Sat 02-Jul-05 18:56:39

A lot of the really posh restaurants do a set lunch menu (eg The Ivy used to do a set lunch for £15...and you get to star spot) which can be really quite good value. Or tea at Fortnum & Mason. Any of the art galleries (National, National Portrait and Tate Modern) are good and 'cos they're free you don't feel too bad if you leave early adn don't see the whole thing. Mooch along the south bank (the stretch between Tower Bridge and Westminster Bridge, taking in the Globe Theatre, Tate Modern, MOMI etc etc or you can go on a river boat for about £6. Then it is easy to potter over to Covent Garden which, although very busy, is vibrant and interesting enough to be fun nonetheless. Whatever you do, have fun!

alhambra Sun 03-Jul-05 17:55:15

yeh there's a boat with damien hirst dots on that goes between tate modern and tate britain. i think it has a bar and stuff. also have you ever been on a duck bus? I went once with the kids it's a right old laugh when we went there was a group of hens on it. you get them from near the london eye and then on your return are well placed to enjoy the delights of the sarf bank.

slug Mon 04-Jul-05 16:17:36

Borough market is fabulous (known as 'the place of scoff' by the sluglet)

You could...Start at Waterloo, walk down the embankment, take in the Tate Modern, wander down to Borough market for lunch and shopping (beware the crowds!) and if it's sunny take either the train from London Bridge, or the boat from back by the Tate to Greenwich for ANOTHER market, the maritime museum, fan museum and park.

spidermama Mon 04-Jul-05 16:19:27

If you have a decent budget - The Sanctuary.
Otherwise, a stroll along the South Bank doing whatever takes your fancy.
Have a great day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now