Talk

Advanced search

Bluebell Railway for Thomas the Tank Engine?

(8 Posts)
snafu Fri 24-Jun-05 08:29:42

Anyone been to the Bluebell Railway? Was thinking of taking ds there on Sunday to see Thomas but am finding the website a bit confusing Would you recommend it?

Is there parking, or do you have to get a bus from the station? We've got to try and do it all (travel from and back to Croydon included) between approx 2-6pm - feasible or laughable?

Thanks all

LIZS Fri 24-Jun-05 09:06:59

Your best bet is to head for Sheffield Park,where iirc there is parking, as from East Grinstead I think you have to get a bus to Kingscote. It sounds like Thomas himself will be mainly based at Horsted Keynes where there is also parking.

The full length of the line takes about 1/2 hour each way so as long as it was a quick turn around at the terminus you should be ok for time and see some of the other activities .

My parents took ds, then 2, there to see Thomas 5 years ago and it was quite busy so had to queue to get on the actual engine footplate. He was so scared of the noise when he did get on that he cried and had to be taken away !

julen Fri 24-Jun-05 09:22:05

If you go, go early..! We went last week (from Sutton), and enjoyed it, but were very glad to have missed the heat/big crowds. There is lots to do besides the trains as well (face painting, merry-go-round, boat swings, etc.). As LIZs says, Sheffield Park is probably the best place to start from.

snafu Fri 24-Jun-05 09:24:31

Thanks julen and lizs. I want to go early but ds's dad is going away for the weekend and will not be back until lunchtime-ish... Last thing I want to do is rush around trying to fit it all in in this heat.

I think they do this Thomas thing every year though...maybe we'll have to wait and be a bit more organised next time!

starlover Fri 24-Jun-05 09:24:52

you can go to the bluebell railway and there is parking there.
we took a family friend a few years ago and were a little disappointed! but it's still a nice day out if your kids like trains in general

snafu Fri 24-Jun-05 09:27:32

I don't know whether ds is really a bit young anyway - he's only just 2. He likes Thomas but am not sure he's devoted enough to justify the hassle this year

starlover Fri 24-Jun-05 10:10:30

lol. the train ride is quite nice

legacy Sun 26-Jun-05 20:19:22

Did anyone go to this today, at the bluebell railway??

We did, and it was HELL! Hundreds of hot & bothered parents and toddlers, crammed onto narrow platforms (I was convinced someone was going to lose a child over the edge... )

The kids loved seeing the trains, but the queues were horrendous to actually 'do' anything, so we mostly didn't bother. Train ride was fun though .

Don't know why (and I know I will be shot down in flames...) but it seemed crowded with lots of obese people stuffing their (also obese )babies & kids with grossly unsuitable junk food -breaks my heart to see it really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now