Talk

Advanced search

stonehenge in November with 2 pre-schoolers. Do we just trudge round it for an hour?

(7 Posts)
Meglet Thu 12-Nov-09 18:52:32

To make a change from visiting the park I was going to take the dc's (3 & 1) to Stonehenge next week. What's it like? I assume it's pretty basic, visitors centre, shop and you walk round the stones.

And does anyone know it they have a child proof fence round the stones, in the photos I have seen it's just a rope fence. I want to let DS toddle along and have a relaxed wander, but I don't want him running off into the stones and having to chase him every 5 mins.

Meglet Thu 12-Nov-09 19:57:53

bump.

Elk Thu 12-Nov-09 20:06:17

dh took dd1 there a few years ago but didn't actually go in. From what I remember there is just a rope fence to stop people gettting in.

I really should know lots more about it considering how close I live, but at least this will bump it a bit more.

If you want the dc's to run about there is always Woodhenge in Durrington but it isn't very exciting ( to put it mildly). It is a series of knee high concrete posts where the wooden posts would have been at the same time as Stonehenge was built.

littone Thu 12-Nov-09 20:50:30

We went a few years ago and it is just a rope separating you from the stones. Also very open so if a windy day it feels very cold. Quite expensive entry for adults £6.50. I would imagine the 3 year old would get bored quite quickly and would want to touch the stones!

InterruptingKid Thu 12-Nov-09 20:51:39

the audio guide is good
youd be hard pressed to do an hour though

InterruptingKid Thu 12-Nov-09 20:52:57

most folk prefer avebury or go to stourhead downt he A303 a bit

Meglet Thu 12-Nov-09 21:04:43

aah, Avebury might be better with my two then. smile Thank you.

I'll take them to stonehenge when I have another grown up with me to keep ds in one place grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now