Talk

Advanced search

Going to London on Thurs and Fri - what can I do that doesn't involve shopping?

(10 Posts)
PuppyMonkey Wed 11-Nov-09 10:54:22

Me and DP are having our first break away from DDs in, ooh nearly three years. Staying in a crapoloa Travelodge grin in London Docklands hmm but we'll get the tube/train in to the good places!! Just tell us where to go because DP will hate it if I drag him round the shops like I really want to. wink

We've done Covent Garden etc before. Fancy a musuem or sommat. Any ideas??? And are there good places to go to get cheap tickets for a theatre show?

Very excited.

deepdarkwood Wed 11-Nov-09 10:59:10

smile
Art Gallery (Tate Modern/Tate/National depending on your preferences)
V&A?
British Museum?

Wander to Hamleys to marvel at the toys?

depending on the weather, a mooch along the South bank, or round the Serpentine

bethoo Wed 11-Nov-09 11:10:54

natural history museaum is great

orangina Wed 11-Nov-09 11:16:53

Borough Market

PuppyMonkey Wed 11-Nov-09 12:33:52

Ooh, thank you all. I had already mentioned Natural History Museum to DP and it seemed to hit the spot. V&A would be good too. I have no idea how near these places are to each other, but I am dead good at t'underground thingy wotsit. grin

Earlybird Wed 11-Nov-09 12:40:19

V&A, Natural History Museum and Science Museum all near each other. Also, walking distance to Harrod's (I find it amazing/amusing to wander through the food halls there). And whoever said 'Hamley's' - my reply is DON'T unless you enjoy huge crowds. Much better to (again) go to toy department in Harrod's to look around.

Could also be nice to go to National Gallery / National Portrait Gallery / Trafalgar Square and walk down the Mall to take a gander at Buckingham Palace. Have a cup of tea and a cake in the top floor cafe at the National Gallery - beautiful rooftop views over Trafalgar Square and down Whitehall. There's also a very nice cafe in St. James' Park.

cassell Wed 11-Nov-09 12:54:09

As an alternative to central London you could take the DLR over to Greenwich (Cutty Sark stop is best), have a walk in the lovely park (good views from the top of the hill!), go around the queen's house, naval museum & time museum (and stand on the meridian line if that is your thing)! There are nice little boutique type shops, the covered market is mainly a weekend thing but still has quite a few stalls on Fridays. Plenty of restaurants etc as well.

Ewe Wed 11-Nov-09 13:00:52

If you don't mind an early start there is a box office in Leicester Square that does half price tickets for West End shows, think you need to be there by about 9/9:30am if you want specific tickets. If you're more flexible then go anytime.

Also some shows do day tickets where they release 50 or so tickets on the day - have done this for Wicked before. For Wicked they are released at 10am, but you would need to get there earlier, £25 for front row stalls.

babyOcho Wed 11-Nov-09 13:08:26

Then you can get a river boat from Greenwich to Westminster.

Walk around parliament sq and then head south over the river and walk along to the south bank. Lots of places around there to eat and drink and people watch. You can see a play there as well.

YOu can get the Jubilee line back East quite easily from there as well.

PuppyMonkey Wed 11-Nov-09 16:14:57

You are all so kind, thanks for taking the time to suggest stuff! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now