Talk

Advanced search

Mountfitchet Castle (Essex) - anyone been?

(9 Posts)
Hulababy Wed 04-Nov-09 19:26:40

Here

Has anyone been? What was it like?

BIL and SIL are moving quite close to here, all being well, in a couple of months. We walked past this place and it looked really interesting and thought 7y DD might enjoy it sometime next year.

frogs Wed 04-Nov-09 19:50:50

yy, really great day out. Nice castle site with lots of wooden huts with more-or-less authentically recreated mediaeval scenes. And lots of random animals wandering about.

Lots of fun. smile

Sagacious Wed 04-Nov-09 20:01:15

can get very slippy if its been raining but on a dry day its good (castle does tend to focus a lot on torture and gore .. stocks and jails etc)

toy museum is V RETRO but quite fun (watch out for the spitting dinosaur)

TabithaTwitchet Wed 04-Nov-09 20:13:29

We used to go when I was a child and I LOVED it - running up to all the different huts to see what was inside!

Can't wait for DD to be old enough

MegBusset Wed 04-Nov-09 20:18:56

Went on a school trip when I was 11. Main memory is slipping down a bank and ending up covered head to toe in mud!

greensnail Wed 04-Nov-09 20:20:59

I used to love it when i was little - loved the goats!

popmum Wed 04-Nov-09 20:21:49

don't have any hopes of seeing any kind of real [disney style] castle though, it's just a pile of rocks! The huts/old village are great though and certainly a different day out for kids. Mine have always enjoyed it. The toy museum is great too.

hocuspontas Wed 04-Nov-09 20:21:54

Much improved over the last few years. Has live animals, some gross bits and a ducking stool which fascinated our yr1s when we did a school trip a couple of years ago. Best done on a dry day though. The Toy Museum is great for adults! Has always been expensive for what it is but perfect for KS2 age group I would say. Unfortunately not suitable for wheelchairs or oldies really due to being on a steep hill.

HTH

Hulababy Wed 04-Nov-09 21:11:28

Thanks all Will definitely keep it in mind for when we visit BIL. It did look interesting from what we could see outside. It looked like something DD might enjoy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now