Talk

Advanced search

Day out in central scotland.. inspiration needed.

(50 Posts)
ja9 Tue 03-Nov-09 13:46:44

Hi

Want to take dc out for the day at the weekend. Probably indoor venue - been to Deep Sea World fairly recently. Only other place i can really think of is the butterfly place near edin.

Any other ideas?

tia

TheBalladofGayTony Tue 03-Nov-09 13:49:17

this place is meant to be good

waitingforbedtime Tue 03-Nov-09 13:52:59

Dont go to Butterfly world - we went there teh other week. Ds really didnt enjoy it, was just too hot (understandably) and is abotu £6 for an adult and we were only there for 45 minutes.

Almond Valley Heritage Centre in Livi is good, has indoor soft play and museum if weather bad and trampolines, animals, tractors, sand pit etc if nice.

5 sisters zoo in Livi is also good especially for littler ones, it is only a small zoo but ds (almost 3) loves it and always goes to the handling session and enjoys that.

waitingforbedtime Tue 03-Nov-09 13:54:07

Oh d'oh didnt open link until after I had posted!!

luciemule Tue 03-Nov-09 13:54:30

Drumlanrig Castle - not sure if too far south for you though?

lovechoc Tue 03-Nov-09 14:02:32

Agree Butterfly World isn't worth the money. We took DS last year, was overpriced for what it is.

There are various castles around to choose from, but I'd have a look at visitscotland website to get some inspiration. I just can't think of anything right now!blush

luciemule Tue 03-Nov-09 14:10:09

Sterling/Edinburgh castle too?

lovechoc Tue 03-Nov-09 14:17:08

Edinburgh castle is a good day out but VERY expensive for what it is - depends on age of the DC.

The Wallace Monument may be worth it, they've done it up since I was last there a year ago.

waitingforbedtime Tue 03-Nov-09 18:53:54

Oh I forgot, dynamic earth is quite good. Ds loves it!

ja9 Tue 03-Nov-09 23:51:59

wallace monument - is that not just a day of climbing steps? or is there more to it?

dynamic earth. hmm. my 2 are 5yo and almost 3yo. too young or would they enjoy?

what about glasgow science centre? same questions as for dynamic earth...

ja9 Tue 03-Nov-09 23:53:20

have never heard of 5 sisters zoo despite many visits to livi. tell me more... mainly outdoor?

waitingforbedtime Wed 04-Nov-09 09:09:17

Well, with regards to Dynamic Earth, ds is almost 3 and loves it. Depends though, some kids are scared of the time machine lift thing at the start because it goes dark and noisy and shakes but ds loves that too.

[[http://www.fivesisterszoo.co.uk/ 5 sisters zoo] is good. Is very small. Has indoor reptiles etc, crocodiles, small monkey bit and then other animals like wildcat, porcupine, parrots, otters, rabbits, etc outside. Couldnt spend a whole day there but we have been 2/3 times for a couple of hours. Ds really enjoys it and have always booked him into handling session where you get to touch snakes / hedgehogs / bearded dragons etc - it lasts about 1/2 hour in a small 'classroom' - ds has been to it 3 times I think, first time when he was 2.4 and he managed fine concentration wise. You can also book to go in and feed the lemurs at feeding time, have never done that, the lemurs are all over the people who go in though

waitingforbedtime Wed 04-Nov-09 09:10:30

PS Its in West Calder but pretty much Livi! Oh and there is a soft play attached but never been in it.

waitingforbedtime Wed 04-Nov-09 09:10:58

5 sisters zoo

waitingforbedtime Wed 04-Nov-09 09:12:20

What about Edinburgh Zoo? Has indoor and outdoor bits obviously...? Never been to Glasgow Science Centre but would like to know about it too - anyone??

lovechoc Wed 04-Nov-09 12:48:19

there's more to the wallace monument now as I've stated, they've done it up, think there's a new centre attached to it. and ofcourse there's also stirling castle along the road.

christiana Wed 04-Nov-09 13:05:16

Message withdrawn

waitingforbedtime Wed 04-Nov-09 13:11:15

Christiana - Ive wondered about Camera Obscura for ds (almost3) but I dont really understand what it is, had a look at website you linked and Im none the wiser - think I may be being stupid?

TheApprentice Wed 04-Nov-09 13:12:44

I've been to the soft play attached to 5 sisters zoo. Its very big but a bit ....odd. I don't know how to explain it but not all parts seemed very safe tbh. However ds1 (2years) enjoyed it. We also thought the zoo was excellent - it is mostly outside though and paths not very buggy friendly. However, small enough for a 2 year old to walk around it all and not need a buggy.

If you are interested in other soft plays I would recommend the one at Ratho Climbing Centre - its lovely. Don't go to Tumblezone - dreadful customer care!

TheApprentice Wed 04-Nov-09 13:15:21

Edinburgh zoo also very good but very expensive (and you have to pay more to park there unless you are canny and park on a nearby side street!). We managed to spend 5 hours there in the summer with a 2 year old and a 10 month old which I thought was quite impressive!

christiana Wed 04-Nov-09 13:15:47

Message withdrawn

TheApprentice Wed 04-Nov-09 13:17:54

If you are in town visiting camera obscura you could also go to the Edinburgh Museum of Childhood (near the Royal Mile). Its free and has displays of old toys etc and a few Victorian type muiscal shows that you can put coins into.

lovechoc Wed 04-Nov-09 13:24:45

we are hopefully going to Edinburgh Zoo on St Andrews Day again this year (did it last year FOR FREE!) and we parked on the side streets around about, and took our picnic with us. Was freezing but a really good day out that cost us nothing

Wouldn't go if you have to pay though, it's extortionate!!

waitingforbedtime Wed 04-Nov-09 16:16:48

If youre going to Edinburgh Zoo you can park in the greenways at the weekend for free.

KristinaM Wed 04-Nov-09 17:11:32

is entry to the zoo free on st andrews day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now