Talk

Advanced search

What do I need to know about the Science Museum , and will I regret it in half term ?

(6 Posts)
Debris Wed 28-Oct-09 18:40:30

My DH has a day off tomorrow , and has suggested that we go to the Science Museum. Im a bit apprehensive as its half term. What are your top tips please ?

Eeek Wed 28-Oct-09 18:50:38

it'll be great. Take a packed lunch or use the Blue cafe but go early as it gets busy. If your kids are young enough to like the water play downstairs a spare top or two might be a good idea. You can walk through to the Natural History Museum to spend 10 mins with the dinosaurs.

pickupthismess Wed 28-Oct-09 18:52:37

Well it will be busy. Top tips:

Get there early

Book tickets to se 3D films as soon as you arrive -they were totally booked up last half term

Take a packed lunch or get to the cafes before the lunch rush otherwise be very prepared to wait in long queues

Try and park behind it at the university

Go into the basement for kids stuff early, don't wait until afternoon when it is hot and there are big queues

squeaver Wed 28-Oct-09 18:55:08

Get there to be on the dot of opening time.

Depending on age of DCs either go straight up to the top (?) floor - where they do all the experimenty stuff. Or down to the basement for all the fab water etc stuff.

Then have a wander round the rest. Food isn't too bad but you might prefer a packed lunch. Lots of places to eat in the area.

Then go up to Kensington Gardens - although the Princess Di pirate ship playground WILL be mobbed.

squeaver Wed 28-Oct-09 18:56:20

And everything pickup said too, obv

deepdarkwood Wed 28-Oct-09 19:16:55

We went today - it was heaving (have never been in half term before)
Agree with everything squeaver & pickupthismess said. Downstairs bit (The Garden) is for 3-6 yos, upstairs bit (Launch Pad) more suitable for older kids (although still much enjoyed by younger ones)

If your kids are younger end (mine are 3 & 5) the bubble show is a good way to sit down for 20 mins...

We went down to the V&A when I got sick of the crowds - it was lovely & quiet, and they had a drop in pottery workshop, where the kids made various things with air dryable clay, then had a go on a potters wheel - very pleasing and calm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now