Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to trenches exhib at Imperial War Museum?

(16 Posts)
Schoolsec Tue 27-Oct-09 20:59:11

Imperial War Museum ha a permanent trenches exhib but we have seen a horrible histories one advertised today (have to pay where as museum is free). Is it the same as the old exhib or is it worth paying the extra? Has anyone been?

mckenzie Tue 27-Oct-09 21:01:04

DS went last week with school and hasn't really stopped talking about it smile. He'd been to the museum before but said the special trenches bit was fab! (DS is 8 by the way)

Schoolsec Tue 27-Oct-09 21:24:50

Thanks. Sounds like he had a great time. Just want to make sure it is different to the trenches already there (which look pretty permanent).

mckenzie Tue 27-Oct-09 21:32:58

hang on then, I'm not so sure which bit DS is talking about. It was a free trip but that might mean that the school PA had funded the entrance to the extra bit or it might mean that they didn't go into that bit. I can ask DS in the morning if you like.

Schoolsec Tue 27-Oct-09 21:37:14

that's ok - will try to ring museum. If ds is 8 , would enjoy "The 39 Steps' at the criterion off picadilly circus. Really funny - lots of kids there.

mckenzie Wed 28-Oct-09 07:09:00

DS says the exhibition he saw was

"really really new and great for children who wants to learn about the world wars and it's a bit horrible at some times as their a game where you can stamp on rats and look at their poo but it's not real poo and not real rats just pretend poo and the rats were on a screen and you tried to stamp on them" smile

Hoe that helps!

Schoolsec Wed 28-Oct-09 17:26:55

that sounds great - thanks for your help. Am booking for Friday!!

TheDemonicButDandyLioness Wed 28-Oct-09 17:41:19

mckenzie - your son went to the Horrible Histories exhibt smile

I thought it was great. DD and her friend (both 4) loved it. Lots to do and touch for them. But also great for older kids who can read the signs. Worth paying, it's a £5, good value IMO.

TheDemonicButDandyLioness Wed 28-Oct-09 17:43:01

Just to add -

The Horrible Histories one is specifically for children.

The permanent treches one isn't. It's aimed at all ages.

Therein lies the difference. So if you're taking a child who's under 12, they will get a lot more out of THH.

pickupthismess Wed 28-Oct-09 19:08:41

Was really interested in this but can I ask - is the IWM suitable overall for kids? Mine are 6&4 and they'd love to see trenches but I wouldn't want them inadvertantly exposed to stuff from WW2 for example.

henryhuggins Wed 28-Oct-09 19:11:57

not for 4 and 6 year olds, its a WAR museum - unless you want them to be exposed to things like that now.

I wouldn't.

Schoolsec Wed 28-Oct-09 19:16:24

as it's free you can look at the trenches but they may be scared if too young. Good kids section about evacuees etc. My boys are 11 and 13 so are quite interested in the first and second world wars . There is a holocaust bit on the top floor - never been but a friend said it was harrowing so gave it a miss. Great shop and cafe too!

DivineInspiration Wed 28-Oct-09 19:30:43

pickupthismess: you can choose what bits you see and what you don't - you don't have to go and see the Holocaust exhibition for instance. There's a lovely WW2 exhibition called 'The Children's War' which focuses on evacuation (including some real diaries and pictures sent home by evacuees), and there's an Anderson shelter, a Prefab bungalow and a replica of a middle class 1940s semi that you can walk through. Also a 'Blitz experience', which isn't scary. I'm not sure how long it would all hold the attention of a 4 or 6 year old - I suppose it depends on the child, yours might love it.

If you have DC who like planes and machines, the foyer is full of them. My 9 and 11 year old nephews loved looking at all the WW1 and WW2 medals, uniforms, weapons, kit etc. so there's something for all ages and personalities.

GrapefruitMoon Wed 28-Oct-09 20:19:05

Anyone know whether or not I should pre-book for the Horrible Histories bit? And if I should, will the booking reference be sufficient when I get there - my printer is on the blink so can't print out the E-ticket that is referred to on the booking page...

GrapefruitMoon Fri 30-Oct-09 09:47:59

I did pre-book and there was no problem with not having a print-out - they had a list of names fort those who had pre-booked. The Horrible Histories bit was good - just the right size to see everything before ds2 got bored! the rest of the place was heaving though - didn't get into the Children's War bit as it was so full...

A tip for anyone else thinking of going - there was a big queue to get in through the main entrance but a member of staff came along the queue and advised people to go to the side entrance and we walked straight in that way...

pickupthismess Fri 30-Oct-09 20:00:28

Sounds like it might be OK if you canskip terrible bits.

Why would anyone want to go to the Holocaust exhibition? Too terrible for words.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now