Talk

Advanced search

London - Any recommendations for really interesting 'Living Museums'?

(10 Posts)
Flashfried Sun 25-Oct-09 13:55:16

Will be in London for 1 day during half-term and wonder whether anyone can recommend a really interesting living museum?

We visited a fantastic one at Flambards in Cornwall and looking for something similar.

Have 3 DC's aged 8, 9,& 10.

Earlybird Sun 25-Oct-09 14:29:44

Pardon my ignorance, what exactly is a living museum?

Flashfried Sun 25-Oct-09 15:37:42

You know, the kind of ones you walk through and imagine you've been thrown back in time...

The one at Flambards was WW2 and Victorian (I think). We walked through the streets, went into the shops & pubs of yesteryear - it was magical!

Did I explain it very well?

teameric Sun 25-Oct-09 15:43:09

theres one oppisite where I live called The Ragged School Museum, the kids can dress up in victorian clothes and see what it was like for children in those times, here hope that helps smile

Flashfried Sun 25-Oct-09 16:11:44

teameric, that sounds lovely. Where is the nearest tube ti Regent's Canal, is it Regents Park and which line is it on? Thanks

Fivesetsofschoolfees Sun 25-Oct-09 16:13:53

The Museum of London is good (and free).

Flashfried Sun 25-Oct-09 16:41:01

Fivesets...Can you elaborate a bit on the Museum of London?

teameric Sun 25-Oct-09 16:56:51

nearest tube is Mile End which is on Hammersmith & City, District and Central lines.

Flashfried Sun 25-Oct-09 21:55:14

Thanks teameric...One last question (if you can answer it) is it only open on weds/thurs? I read this somewhere online - seems odd.

I can always give them a call if not.

teameric Sun 25-Oct-09 22:02:52

Yes just went on the website and apparantly so,
sorry didn't realise does seem odd though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now