Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know Matlock and surrounding area

(21 Posts)
bargainhuntingbetty Thu 22-Oct-09 20:50:46

I am currently on Holiday near Matlock and so far we have done, Alton Towers, Drayton Manor, Nottingham castle and Mortimors Hole, Heights of Abraham. We are looking for something to do tomorrow., My kids are quite active so museums etc are out, any ideas where we could go, it is out last day and although dh and I are ready for a chill day the dc's will need entertained., Please help

bargainhuntingbetty Thu 22-Oct-09 20:55:31

anyone??

QueenOfFrighteningEveryone Thu 22-Oct-09 20:55:54

Do you like going for walks? Lots of fab places near Matlock and some interesting things to see, especially if you are into stone circles and the like.

Stanton Moor is particularly lovely.

bargainhuntingbetty Thu 22-Oct-09 21:04:48

Thanks Iw ill look into that one. We are a walkie family as we have 2 collies at home so the kids love going for walks with them.

QueenOfFrighteningEveryone Thu 22-Oct-09 21:09:20

DD(6) loves walking over Stanton Moor and then going to the pub in Birchover for lunch (dogs welcome), its easy walking and the Nine Ladies stone circle is beautiful.

Hope you've enjoyed your stay, Matlock is lovely.

halfcut Thu 22-Oct-09 21:09:22

my kids enjoyed going here a few years ago

bargainhuntingbetty Thu 22-Oct-09 21:20:21

I went to the Blue John Mines when I was little and loved it but as the kids have already done Mortimors hole and the cave at the Heights Of Abraham I am wondering if this will be too many underground exp[eriences for them lol. Love the look of the walk tho, will check out the weather first

madamy Thu 22-Oct-09 21:21:56

Crich Tramway museum is good fun and isn't a typical museum at all. Lots of old trams to look at and they do tram rides up the hill. There's a woodland walk back down the hill and a basic play area too.

Also Gulliver's Kingdom but that might be either a bit too young or too theme parky.

Carsington Water is nearby too - you can hire bikes and cycle around the water if feeling energetic! Good play areas too.

bargainhuntingbetty Thu 22-Oct-09 21:25:29

Good ideas, I will run them past dh and we can decide, Thanks

Bucharest Thu 22-Oct-09 21:26:15

Have you done the Peak Railway? Presume you prob have if you've done HoA etc, but dd loves the old chuggy steam train thing....

Bakewell is not too far away- or Chatsworth- fab farm shop.

Making me feel homesick!

TheMitsubishiWarrioress Thu 22-Oct-09 21:28:23

this is fabulous.

There is a long walk around the reservoir, small selection of shops with an amazing solid stone ball rotating on water and an information centre. You would also be near cromford with all the arkwright mills which are linked to the canal and the village which isn't the prettiest in Derbyshire but has a LOT on offer... a fabulous bookshop, oohh.....it is fab (I live there!!)

A walk up to local 'black rocks' is good for budding climbers and again walking.

Oooh and you would be near the stone centre where the kids can do gem panningsmile

So..your itinary..

Start off going to Carsington. Coffee and munchies,

The stone centre on the way down, with Black rocks a few minutes walk away for a scramble,

Drop down into cromford and see the brill water features, chips for dinner, browse around our bookshop and down to the canal for pike spotting!!

Have a fabulous Day and I hope the weather holds out for you, the peak distict is awesome

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Thu 22-Oct-09 21:31:02

Dovedale.

We enjoyed Gullivers a lot too, which really surprised me.

tramway Museum?

bargainhuntingbetty Thu 22-Oct-09 21:36:31

Have been browsing the web, is the Park in Matlock any good

TheMitsubishiWarrioress Thu 22-Oct-09 21:47:09

It is ok bhb, there isn't masses to do but a fairly good play park and usually crazy golf,

I'd second Crich Tramway, it also has a sculpture walk and the views from nearby crich stand are worth taking a look at.

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Thu 22-Oct-09 21:48:22

Well - it's just a park tbh, so not really v exciting: unless you combine it with fish and chips!

bargainhuntingbetty Thu 22-Oct-09 21:54:41

ok I will take your word for that, the dc's are really into parks etc but there are some really good ideas you have all given me and I am definately looking into a few of them, think the dc's would love the rock scrambling and panning. Will def look into that one.

What if the weather is really bad, is there anything you can suggest inside?

bargainhuntingbetty Thu 22-Oct-09 22:07:20

Too many choices now, we are fancying the tramway but also fancy the Carsington water and the stone thing. Thanks Ladies. We just have to decide now.,

TheMitsubishiWarrioress Thu 22-Oct-09 22:09:32

Now you have got me..

If the weather is ok chatsworth has an adventure playgound that is to die for, It is amazing..but still outdoorsy.

The weather forecast online is cloudy with a chance of rain..this has a brilliant reputation and is indoors but is sheffieldway, not too far I don't think

bargainhuntingbetty Thu 22-Oct-09 22:14:58

Can you do me a link to the Chatsworth thing???

TheMitsubishiWarrioress Thu 22-Oct-09 22:21:09

here

And there is a fabulous sculpture exhibition in the grounds as well. Lots of space for DC's to let off steam.

bargainhuntingbetty Thu 22-Oct-09 22:24:57

I think we are going to go there, weather permitting that looks like the winner. Thank you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now