Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about Christmas markets please.

(9 Posts)
BethAndHerBrood Tue 06-Oct-09 14:19:58

I have a yearning to go to a christmas market this year, but I know nothing about them. Tell me where you have been and what they are like, please. Ones in the uk only, won't be able to talk DH into one abroad!

LolaLadybird Tue 06-Oct-09 21:51:11

I went to the Bath one last year. I hadn't been to one before and it struck me as a nice chistmassy thing to do. I went with my mum (left DC's at home with DH). It was nice and it did feel v Christmassy as we went late afternoon/early evening and it was dark and festive. There were a lot of food stalls and then lots selling jewellery, accessories etc but they did get a bit same-y after a while. Of course, all the shops were open as well so it was good chance to combine the two. A nice thing for adults but I wouldn't have enjoyed it with small children - it would have been hard to keep an eye on them as it was quite busy and the pushchair would have been a pain.

We live reasonably close to Bath but as its such a lovely city in its own right, I'm sure it would make a lovely day-trip/weekend away.

Snorter Sat 10-Oct-09 21:59:00

Winchester has a lovely one around an ice rink-see Cathedral website for details

VulpusinaWilfsuit Sat 10-Oct-09 22:01:21

Manchester. It's the best.

tiredemma Sat 10-Oct-09 22:02:39

The one in Birmingham is FAB. Biggest one outside Germany (apparently)

cat64 Sat 10-Oct-09 22:14:07

Message withdrawn

tethersend Sat 10-Oct-09 22:17:07

Lincoln is supposed to be good

PootleTheFlump Fri 16-Oct-09 22:42:13

We've been to Lincoln and it was lovely and got us right into the Christmas mood. We went in the evening and it was all fairy lights and carols. Don't think we bought much, just soaked up the atmosphere.

janeite Fri 16-Oct-09 22:43:33

The Birmingham one is very crowded and claustraphobic. I don't like it much. Pretty to walk through pre-theatre though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now