Talk

Advanced search

Warwick Castle - any tips? Any good?!

(6 Posts)
loobs2 Wed 23-Sep-09 12:41:47

We're taking our almost-6-yr-old DS and 9-yr-old DD to Warwick Castle for DS's birthday treat on Saturday - any tips/recommendations would be appreciated! smile

CMOTdibbler Wed 23-Sep-09 12:44:46

My DS really likes it there - especially the trebuchet. Space out the shows you go to as they are repeated during the day. If DD wants to do the Princess' tower, then be prepared for a long wait.

If you want a quiet place to sit down, then the peacock garden is good.

There are 2 for 1 vouchers on the Heart of England tourist board website - so you could just pay for the adults and the children would be free

fircone Wed 23-Sep-09 12:56:50

We really enjoyed Warwick Castle. I was a bit hmm about it before we went as I thought it would be awfully commercial, but it's very good!

The staff were all very friendly and informative (unlike National Trust stuck-up grannies!) and one who was very knowledgeable was actually a PhD student from Warwick University.

The fighting display was excellent and the combatants very humorous.

My usual tip: get there at the crack of sparrows to beat the crowds.

bigTillyMint Wed 23-Sep-09 13:01:43

We went in the summer using Tesco vouchers wink - loads of activities and things to watch. There is a princess tower - though DD at 10 felt it was for younger children, she still went in!
Both she and DS loved the trebuchet and jousting. There is also a small adventure playground thing.

I would agree, get there early, it was much busier as the day wore on.

BertieBotts Wed 23-Sep-09 18:06:29

You have to pay to park - just a warning. So use tesco vouchers etc for entrance tickets if you can.

Take a picnic - you can buy food there but it's expensive.

Don't pay the extra for the ghost tower if they still do that - not child-friendly and not really worth the extra they ask for anyway

MelvinIsABigGirlNow Sun 27-Sep-09 13:42:29

Would definitely agree with BertieBotts on the ghost tower, not child friendly. The jousting is very well done and the Trebuchet display was enjoyed by all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now