Talk

Advanced search

places to visit North of Birmingham

(14 Posts)
dizzymac Tue 08-Sep-09 20:17:10

We are meeting up with some friends in a couple of weeks. We are scattered around the country, Birmingham, Manchester, Warwick. We try to meet up once a year for a good day out with the children ( ages 6mths-7 years). In the past we've been to Trentham Gardens and Warwick Castle. Tretham would be fine again but I wondered if anybody had any good suggestions.
We'll be wanting to eat out there so nice cafe is a must, as is something for the children to do whilst we catch up.

Yorky Tue 08-Sep-09 20:27:19

I recently suggested this place as a good place for us to meet up with DB, he is in Manc we are in Wolverhampton
Haven't actually been ourselves yet so can't recommend, but I fancy it

Ponders Tue 08-Sep-09 20:29:41

Chatsworth?

Ponders Tue 08-Sep-09 20:31:34

Crich Tramway Museum

There is a canal place around Crich as well, can't remember details though

Ponders Tue 08-Sep-09 20:33:39

And if you go to Crich you could take in the Matlock Illuminations at the same time smile

Ponders Tue 08-Sep-09 20:35:04

Oh, the canal isn't Crich, it's Crick, which is SE of Rugby so no good to you grin

dizzymac Tue 08-Sep-09 20:38:02

They look lovely Ponders, though maybe a bit far from Manchester. I used to live in Sheffield and loved Chatsworth

Ponders Tue 08-Sep-09 20:52:57

Chatsworth is nearer to Manc than to Brum! And so is Matlock in fact, but pretty much midway. (Or did you mean too far from Warwick?)

dizzymac Tue 08-Sep-09 21:59:05

No, I meant Manchester. From where we are it will take a good 2.5 hours each way.

Ponders Tue 08-Sep-09 22:06:05

According to google Manc-Chatsworth is 1h 15mins! From Brum, 1h 36 mins; from Warwick 1h 47 mins. (Crich similar but the other way round)

Perfect, no?

dizzymac Tue 08-Sep-09 22:07:47

wow!
That must be a route we've not done.
That does sound a possibilty then. Thanks

VulpusinaWilfsuit Tue 08-Sep-09 22:12:09

Ahem. My special subject is the cultural desert between Manc and Birm (as I live there!)

So. Some ideas:

Stokesay Castle, Shropshire
You already have Trentham
Rudyard Lake
Buxton
Beeston Castle
Crewe Hall Hotel
Nantwich

Will think some more...

Ponders Tue 08-Sep-09 22:13:21

Well I'm in Lancs way N of Manc; I drove to the far side of the Peak District last summer & even with endless roadworks on the road from Stockport to Buxton it only took me about 2½ hrs - & a very beautiful drive it is too smile

(The google route is via Chapel-en-le-Frith on the A6, then E on the A623 avoiding both Buxton & Bakewell)

dizzymac Wed 09-Sep-09 07:08:57

VW I will look into those. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now