Talk

Advanced search

Is it worth going to London Zoo if one goes to Whipsnade all the time?

(8 Posts)
MrsJohnDeere Wed 02-Sep-09 19:31:10

Dh suggesting it for family day out this week. We have a season ticket to Whipsnade and go most weeks.

Does London Zoo do anything differently (or better) than Whipsnade to justify a train ride into London with 2 preschool age children?

katyamum Wed 02-Sep-09 23:14:32

I think London Zoo is a bit sad, and I much prefer Whipsnade, but for a day out with the kids it is still nice. You can easily walk around it all, and the highlight is always the giraffes for me, and there is a lot of indoors educational stuff. You can park in the Regents Park Inner Circle or in the official Zoo Car Park. It's probably worth giving it a go. The gorillas bit has now been re-done and is a bit more up close and personal and there is a giant monitor lizard who often comes out when we are there. The food is terrible so take a picnic. And of course there is a massive shop and a few rubbishy fairground rides, and a bouncy castle and a playground. My kids all love it.

MegBusset Wed 02-Sep-09 23:20:14

London Zoo is crap imo -- not a patch on Whipsnade. The enclosures are too small and a lot of the big animals have been moved out to Whipsnade.

But small kids will probably still love it!

pinkteddy Wed 02-Sep-09 23:21:59

dd loves London zoo but I don't really rate it. The way it is designed you can't see some of the animals clearly and they don't seem to have much room. Agree with katy about the highlights. They do put on some good shows too eg: with birds of prey. I prefer paradise park in Broxbourne but might be a bit out of the way for you. They do a lot of conservation work there which makes it seem more acceptable! www.pwpark.com/

Snorbs Wed 02-Sep-09 23:23:26

I wouldn't bother. London Zoo's small, expensive and tatty. How about Woburn instead?

milknosugarplease Fri 04-Sep-09 10:11:29

London zoo is rubbish! barely any good animals (there on loan to whipsnade!)

out of intrest, i live in north london, how easy is it to get to whipsnade with a 6 yr old 9 year old and 6 month old?
and will they like it (they liked london zoo so im ghuessing yes!)

thank
xx

SomeGuy Sun 06-Sep-09 15:28:54

Whipsnade is quite easy to get to with a car wink Otherwise you're looking at a train to Luton/Hemel and then a bad bus service, or a 10 mile taxi ride.

It's massive and you should avoid it on cold/windy/wet days because you're going to be outside in the fresh air, and it's a long walk from one side the other.

There are lots of child-friendly thing: play areas, steam train, otters, sea lion show with audience splashing, etc.

cookielove Sun 06-Sep-09 15:36:37

although you can pay to take your car into whipsnade so if the weather is not great you can just to all the enclosures

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now