Talk

Advanced search

Days out with a 10 month old around Durham?

(12 Posts)
Honeymoonmummy Tue 01-Sep-09 16:07:34

Hi all,

We're going to Redworth Hall Hotel, halfway between Durham and Darlington, tomorrow for 3 nights. We don't live in the area, so can anyone recommend good things to do with a 10 month old in this area? Eg good soft play areas (she's crawling well), animal farms etc etc.

Thanks.

DLI Tue 01-Sep-09 19:02:21

I live five minutes away from Redworth Hall Hotel!!!!!!! Its really nice. Are you there for a special occasion?

Playshack in Shildon, or Ruff n Tumble in Newton Aycliffe but think she may be a bit young, but are both decent soft play centres- they are literally five minutes away. Shildon also has a railway musuem which is very pushchair friendly to visit. Hall Hill Farm is about fifteen minutes away in the car(google for directions). What sort of thing are you wanting do? i can recommend lots

5inthebed Tue 01-Sep-09 19:08:27

I was just going to recommend Hall Hill farm. It's a great day out!

DLI Tue 01-Sep-09 19:46:10

the tractor is a bit too bumpy though!

5inthebed Tue 01-Sep-09 20:18:06

Aren't they all!

Theres loads of walking wigs (long haired guinea pigs to you) about as well grin

Honeymoonmummy Tue 01-Sep-09 20:26:56

Thanks, your suggestions sound good, I'd actually found those play centres, which one has the better toddler area? We took her to one yesterday in my area and she loved it.

I've just checked the forecast and the weather is horrible, heavy rain, so any indoor pursuits would be good!

Honeymoonmummy Tue 01-Sep-09 20:28:31

Also, have you ever been to Play N Crazy just outside Durham?

Honeymoonmummy Tue 01-Sep-09 20:31:18

Oh and can you recommend nice places to eat? Sorry i forgot to answer your question DLI, it's not a special occasion, no, they just have a special offer on and my PIL have been before and said it's lovely. They are coming too.

DLI Tue 01-Sep-09 21:29:20

the bay horse at Heighington is nice (just round the corner practically) and so is the bay horse at Middridge (about five/ten minutes away). I think Ruff and Tumble has the better small play area but does get very busy. Darlington is pretty ok for shopping if you fancy a trip to the shops (is closer than Durham which is about twenty/thirty minutes from Redworth)and has plenty of the usual places to eat.

Honeymoonmummy Tue 01-Sep-09 21:34:09

Brilliant thanks! smile

campergirls Tue 01-Sep-09 21:51:56

I'm going to offer some slightly different suggestions, based on the assumption that you won't want to be in soft play places all the time, and 10 month olds are easily pleased so long as you don't take them anywhere they have to be still and silent!

Durham is a beautiful city, the cathedral and old town are well worth a visit. Durham botanical gardens (on the southern edge of the city) are good. Crook Hall and gardens in Durham are really lovely. Durham is surprisingly short on decent places to eat - Numjai (Thai), Fat Buddha ('Asian Fusion') and Oldfields (modern British) are the best of an inadequate bunch.

Beyond Durham, Beamish Open Air Museum is great. Fantastic countryside near there too (esp if you go west towards the Durham Dales) lots of lovely easy walks to do. Not much in the way of indoor attractions up there though, pray for good weather and pack your waterproofs!

Honeymoonmummy Tue 01-Sep-09 22:02:10

Thanks Campergirls, good point, all suggestions welcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now