Talk

Advanced search

What kind of family days out do you have with your teenagers?

(24 Posts)
janeite Thu 27-Aug-09 16:27:10

Any ideas please? They are driving me mad - don't want to do anything with us but haven't made any arrangements with friends in the next few days either. I go back to work in a couple of days and would really like a couple of nice days out before that.

Is the only answer to leave them at home and dp and I go out instead?

Please help!

janeite Thu 27-Aug-09 17:25:05

Oh dear - is it a really impossible dream then?

MrsMuddle Thu 27-Aug-09 17:32:24

Not sure where you are, but we had a lovely day in Edinburgh on Saturday with ours. It's the festival so there was loads going on. Is there another city nearby you can go to?

Maybe you could go out on mountain bikes if there are any trails near you. Or if you're really desperate, a fish farm or pick your own fruit.

My teenagers roll their eyes and grunt a lot when I suggest a family day out, but then they forget to be cool and usually end up enjoying it.

janeite Thu 27-Aug-09 17:34:54

Thanks.

We live in a city (Birmingham) although we're happy to go to another one. Edinburgh is of course, gorgeous, but too far for a day.

Needs to be do-able by train, so farms not really an option.

unknownrebelbang Thu 27-Aug-09 17:49:58

Is York too far?

We had a great day out in York last week.

(also had a good day in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago too).

janeite Thu 27-Aug-09 17:59:17

Love York too but went there fairly recently.

Would be good to know generic things which people do around their own areas for future reference too.

They have turned their noses up at -
swimming
bike ride
cinema
walk and picnic
walk and lunch out
tennis

Arghhh.

ilove Thu 27-Aug-09 18:19:45

I don't ask my teenager...I tell him "we are going so-and-so, get ready please"

janeite Thu 27-Aug-09 19:05:06

Sounds like the best way forward!

It's actually not the teenager so much (dd1 14) but dd2 (12) who seems to want to do nothing EVER.

bluejeans Thu 27-Aug-09 20:19:25

Are they too old for a trip to the seaside? My geography's not great but there must be somewhere within day trip distance by rail?

janeite Thu 27-Aug-09 20:23:12

Nearest is Western Super Mare - must admit I have no desire whatsoever to go there though!

GrinnyPig Thu 27-Aug-09 20:27:38

My DDs are a similar age and like

swimming
bowling
ice skating
theme parks (big favourite)
shopping (provided I'm not looking for anything for myself)
lunch/dinner out

janeite Thu 27-Aug-09 20:30:19

Thanks Grinny. They love swimming but will only go with friends or on holiday. Obviously ashamed to be seen with us!

They have agreed to go for lunch, perhaps a mooch around the shops and perhaps bowling.

Theme parks - they would love this but dp and I don't like the rides so it would be an expensive and not v exciting day for us. Better to wait until they can just go with friends maybe.

Milliways Thu 27-Aug-09 20:34:23

For a treat, DS loves (and DD enjoys) the drag racing at Santa Pod. Under 16's are free and you can sit on the bank & see the entire strip. Lots of other stuff going on as well to wander around.

Theme Parks (but expensive)

Day trips to London - shopping, museums etc.

Hire a rowing boat on the river - cheap & hysterical fun.

Trip to the coast off season, take wellies, the dog & a ball.

Group of friends over for a BBQ / meal / pizza & DVD together. They think it is a birthday & keep asking what presents to bring!

lucykate Thu 27-Aug-09 20:35:53

what about some of the places near leicester?, not too far from birmingham. we've been to a place called conkers, would say the high wire climbing equipment is definitely more suited to older kids. there's also the national space centre and snibston (interactive science museum).

the new walk museum is free to get in and currently has an interactive exhibition all about sport

janeite Thu 27-Aug-09 21:26:01

Lovely ideas.

We've been to the Sports thing in Leicester - was great. London yesterday.

Conkers and rowing boat both brilliant suggestions.

lucykate Fri 28-Aug-09 10:41:42

conkers is great, my 2 were a bit young for it when we went last summer. think we're going to snibston this weekend. been before and it was a real hit.

janeite Fri 28-Aug-09 20:51:32

Thanks LucyKate. Have had a look at their website and it looks great but a bit of a faff by public transport.

Phoenix4725 Sat 29-Aug-09 05:38:37

go karting
theme parks
Bowling

do yo0u have anything like go ape by you mine love it we had fun doing

janeite Sat 29-Aug-09 16:45:19

Go Ape looks brilliant - dp is scared of heights though!

TheDMshouldbeRivened Sat 29-Aug-09 16:48:07

park them on the computer or playstation. Don't think mine (16 and 14) have moved all summer grin

noddyholder Sat 29-Aug-09 16:51:54

Cinema pizza shopping london (for him) Some evenings we go and sit on the beach and eat chips and cups of plastic tea he likes that!Markets if he is in the mood.He is 15 and is also instructed to come otherwise he has been skateboarding for 6 weeks solid!

janeite Sat 29-Aug-09 16:53:54

Markets - ah yes, they do quite like a mooch around the Rag Market (ie sewing stuff).

Riven - that's what they're doing now! But they did come out for lunch with us earlier and dd2 even managed to smile a few times!

Lucky you to be by the beach, Noddy.

noddyholder Sat 29-Aug-09 16:54:33

I know I forget sometimes smile

jalopy Sun 30-Aug-09 18:54:27

Just taken our kids to a chilli festival near Stevenage. Held on the grounds of Benington Lordship. It's open on Bank holiday Monday from 10am. Lots of food tasting and lots of chilli products to buy. Lovely gardens to walk around too. Very enjoyable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now