Talk

Advanced search

Port Lympne / Howletts

(7 Posts)
charltonchick Tue 25-Aug-09 17:58:04

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two as they look very similar. Any idea which one would be better for my 2 DDs of 3 1/2 and 18mths?
Thanks

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 25-Aug-09 18:20:19

tbh I would not travel a long way for either of them. They are very strong on conservation, but ime it is q possible to spend a whole day there and see 3 animals. You can usually see an elephant or two, but I don't think enclosures are conducive to seeing much

If you littles like animals they can touch I think Farming World has more hands on (though obv less exotic animals)

beagle101 Tue 25-Aug-09 18:28:49

I go at least every fortnight to one or the other (my dc are obsessed! - my dd is 4 and my ds is 2)- thank God for family memebership is all I can say!

Both run by the Aspinall Foundation - Howletts is near Canterbury and has tigers but no lions and no giraffes - it is smaller to get round on foot with a nice play park for the kids- loads of gorillas and elephants! Lots of different monkeys too and everything can generally be seen by little people

Port Lympne - down towards Ashford (I'll be there on Friday again hmm) is MUCH bigger and really tough for little people to get round not least as it is on hilly ground so fairly tiring - that said it does have this safari thing where you get on a safari lorry thing that goes through a massive park (very open to the elements on the downs so take a cardi as can get very chilly)and goes up to a thing at the top where you can get drinks and see some spiders/snakes etc - it does cost extra for the safari and it lasts about an hour - it can be excellent on the safari BUT I have been on some days where you can't really see anything which means young ones can get a bit bored. However PL does have lions and giraffes (a favourite in our house!)

I think given the ages of your dc I would strongly recommend Howletts - manageable size, good viewing opportunities nice play park on flat ground (the one at PL is on a slope!!)- save PL for when they are older!

HTH

Kbear Tue 25-Aug-09 18:30:44

love both but if you're kids are little then Howletts - PL is more of an adventure and not for the faint-hearted if you're pushing a pram.

If you book online with them the day before you go you get a discount

Kbear Tue 25-Aug-09 18:31:05

YOUR YOUR YOUR kids - gah

charltonchick Tue 25-Aug-09 18:33:36

Thanks for the info - think I'll try Howletts on Thursday then. Fingers crossed for good weather!

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 25-Aug-09 19:11:01

I sound a right old grump! I must have gone on bad days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now