Talk

Advanced search

Day out in London with DP - child-free! Mad to consider the London Eye before schools go back...?

(8 Posts)
FuriousofTunbridgeWells Sat 22-Aug-09 18:08:32

DP and I are off to London for the day this week ON OUR OWN and I really don't know what to choose - is the London Eye likely to be manic as it's the holidays?

Was thinking of London Eye then a walk to the Tate Modern, lunch there before heading to Covent Garden for shopping and then back home.

Or something else? Imax Cinema? Kew Gardens? Boat trip? Theatre? Arrrrggghhhh too much choice, we won't be alone again for so long I just want it to be nice...

What would you do?

pinkteddy Sat 22-Aug-09 18:33:23

If you are going on the London Eye, it might be worth booking fast track. Then it won't matter how busy it is. There will be long queues, we went at Easter and it was mega busy. Fast track is about £10 per head more expensive (I think £27 instead of £17 but deals are available) but I think worth it. We loved it, you could even book a champagne flight to make it extra special! I love the theatre so I would consider that too. If you're not fussy what you see you could go to the half price ticket booth in Leicester Square and see what is available. Have a lovely day smile

FuriousofTunbridgeWells Sat 22-Aug-09 18:57:08

Thanks Pinkteddy, I am confused now about London Eye tickets - for ordinary ones you have to select a time, and turn up 30 minutes in advance. For fast track, that's 15 minutes in advance - I don't understand, is 15 minutes less wait for £20?

pinkteddy Sat 22-Aug-09 19:13:02

With fast track you wait for your slot in the main building and someone takes you through all the crowds to the front of the queues and you get straight onto the Eye.

With the ordinary ones you join the massive queues! Presume they give you a time to try and spread the load a bit but having never done it, not sure - anyone?

FuriousofTunbridgeWells Sat 22-Aug-09 19:27:41

Oh I see, that makes sense. Hmm, you really think it was worth the cost? I am tempted now. But, OTOH, we would get to the Eye quite early - 9.30 probably, I would have imagined it would get busier later rather than earlier? Or am I being naive blush

pinkteddy Sat 22-Aug-09 19:32:06

No I think you are probably right. Especially as train/tube tickets are cheaper after 9:30am most people wait till after that before going into town so you should be OK. It will definitely be quieter earlier anyhow.

Mine was a birthday treat so I didn't know how much it cost at the time but I definitely thought it was worth it when I saw the length of the queues!!

BigGobMum Sat 22-Aug-09 19:40:15

Pinkteddy thanks for the info that tube tickets are cheaper after 9.30am. I didnt know this. Am going to London soon so this is good to know.

pinkteddy Wed 26-Aug-09 20:39:22

Furious have you been to the London eye yet?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now