Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Gower/Swansea: what to do when it rains?

(12 Posts)
lalalonglegs Sat 22-Aug-09 15:50:11

We are camping on the Gower Peninsula next week and, obviously, although we are hoping for brilliant sunshine from start to finish, what are the options for three small children (five yo and under) if it rains? Any recommendations? Soft play areas? Museums? Fun things to do?

TIA

Ponders Sat 22-Aug-09 16:10:28

There's a lovely amusement arcade at Mumbles grin (NB this is an anti-recommendation! But at least it's under cover)

beckysharp Sat 22-Aug-09 16:31:44

Swansea Museum - old fashioned but dry!

Glyn Vivian Art Gallery- ditto, but with wonderful ceramics - teapots in shape of cows etc. Kids love it.

Swansea Maritime and Industrial Museum - very good. Trains, trams, machines. Used to have a fully working woollen mill, but check if that's still there.

Swansea Leisure Centre - slides and stuff, but check whethe r it is open - whenever I am in Swansea there always seems some kerfuffle/disaster and it is shut!

There is a small botanic garden in Singleton Park which has nice greenhouses with a carp pond.

Clyne Gardens has lovely walks in wooded areas so if it is Swansea rain not lashing down you can stay quite dry under the trees.

There is a big cinema complex at Parc Tawe that shows children's films in the mornings, I think.

Hope those help!

lalalonglegs Sat 22-Aug-09 18:22:28

That's really useful. Feeling a lot better prepared for inevitable possible bad weather.

llareggub Sat 22-Aug-09 18:28:22

Go to Swansea Marina. You can go to the Leisure Centre, where there is a great soft play area, climbing wall and a water park. The head over to the Waterfront Museum for a wander around and lunch. They do a great mealbox for children.

You really must go to Joe's Ice Cream Parlour. Ask any friendly local for directions.

There's also an indoor and very tiny pretend ice rink at the pier.

The Maritime Museum is no longer and has been replaced by the Waterfront Museum, btw.

llareggub Sat 22-Aug-09 18:30:47

Or, head up the valleys to Dan-yr-ogof caves. They are the biggest underground showcaves in Europe. It isn't too far, and is well worth a visit. Actually, I'd go whether it rains or not. There is a dinosaur park there too.

beckysharp Sat 22-Aug-09 20:43:11

When did that happen llareggub?! Shows how long it is since I've been there (and how alarmingly old my children must be getting!)

llareggub Sat 22-Aug-09 20:49:58

In the last 5 years, at least. It does incorporate some of the old Maritime Museum exhibits but sadly not the old woollen mill. I loved the smell of it as a child. It is worth paying a visit if you haven't been for a while.

Pandoraneedsbugs Sat 22-Aug-09 21:03:25

Brynmill park is good on an iffy day
Playground and lake when it is dry
Discovery centre when it rains - free colouring and jigsaws, plus a great viewing window through which you can look at the rain birds!

beckysharp Sat 22-Aug-09 22:14:04

llareggub - that is such a shame about the mill! I loved that too when I was a kid and my children loved it when they were small. We must have visited just before it transmogrified itself.

We will go again next time we are down if it is all new and shiny.

MrsKitty Sat 22-Aug-09 22:33:16

Gower Heritage Centre near Reynoldston will pass a little bit of time on a rainy day & has toddler soft play area/ride on tractors etc by the cafe.

Plantasia near Parc Tawe in Swansea?

Arwhine Mon 31-Mar-14 13:18:28

The great thing about Gower is that it's close to Swansea so loads of stuff to do all year round
Skidz - big indoor go karting near Swansea
LC waterpark at Swansea Marina - sports centre, climbing wall, 4 storey soft play area, 25 mins from furthest point of Gower
National Waterfront Museum Swansea
Exist indoor skate park in Swansea - great for kids and teenagers
Vue cinema
Odeon cinema
Tenpin Bowling Swansea 26 lane bowling alley at Parc Tawe Leisure Park, just off The Strand.
Half size 10 pin bowling above amusement arcade at the pier.
Swansea central library runs holiday stuff for kids

Mumbles is Gower's biggest village
Cafe play - small soft play area in Mumbles
Monkey music runs baby and toddler music workshops in Mumbles over the summer
lots of cafes and shops, bars and restaurants to visit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now