Talk

Advanced search

Edinburgh - things to do with 6 and 10-yr-old

(12 Posts)
loobs2 Wed 19-Aug-09 09:27:31

We've done Dynamic Earth, the Museum of Scotland, the Castle - can anyone recommend anywhere else worth a visit in and around Edinburgh please? smile

weegiemum Wed 19-Aug-09 09:29:19

Zoo
Botanic Gardens are good on a nice day.
My 9yo dd liked the Gallery of Modern Art, but she's really into art.

loobs2 Wed 19-Aug-09 09:31:18

Yes the zoo is great - we do that every yr but don't mind going again this time!

tickfeckingtock Wed 19-Aug-09 23:32:48

Museum of Childhood, brass rubbing centre, over the Forth to the Sea life centre.

If you travel a bit there is the Old Jail in Stirling (recommend) and Blair Drummond Safari Park.

brimfull Wed 19-Aug-09 23:58:52

ds liked the open top bus tour

Smithagain Thu 20-Aug-09 19:37:04

My parents live in Edinburgh and my kids are 4 and 7.

We had a brilliant day out at this place. A weird mixture of museum, farm, playground and nature trails, but nicely done and a good solid day out. TDefinitely good for 6yo - probably still OK at 10. Especially if they are remotely interested in old stuff - the museum bit is very appealing.

Also outside town, North Berwick is a good seaside town. You can get the train from Edinburgh, although it's a bit of a walk to the beach at the other end.

Definitely the Botanic Gardens for haring about - and it's worth paying to go into the glass houses. They have some interesting kids trails and lots of strange plants to oggle at.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 20-Aug-09 19:43:43

Message withdrawn

Wallace Thu 20-Aug-09 19:46:21

Deep Sea World is good if it rains

pinknosedevereux Sun 30-Aug-09 20:11:42

Has to be edinburgh zoo, one of the best days out we've had. Wonderful penguins could have watched them all day.

fluffles Sun 30-Aug-09 20:13:57

camera obscura is worth a go, though maybe not in august if you're local.

fluffles Sun 30-Aug-09 20:14:38

oh, and the seabird centre in east lothian - north berwick i think, or maybe dunbar?

bluesky Mon 31-Aug-09 20:00:55

the highlight for my two when we went was Camera Obscura, they were 8 and 12.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now