Talk

Advanced search

help planing trip to london natral history museum?

(9 Posts)
trace2 Wed 05-Aug-09 19:39:22

we coming by train from yorkshire and want to stop over night where is best to stop kid friendly near there please,

mumblechum Wed 05-Aug-09 19:42:46

Hmm, you could try the Marriot in Regent's Park. IIRC it has a nice indoor pool.

The museum is in Exhibition Road. The nearest tube is South Kensington. If you put that into multimap I think it'll come up with nearby hotels.

Have fun! It's a great museum and you can easily spend a day there. The Science museum is right next door.

trace2 Wed 05-Aug-09 20:02:25

thank you will try that

kslatts Sun 09-Aug-09 08:38:56

I think there is a holiday inn quite near there.

changenameruk Sun 09-Aug-09 11:20:46

hi be prepared to queue to get in. ita very busy in school holidays. The dinosaurs are fab but very busy so i would get their early and go in their first. if you have little ones you can get a "step" for them to stand on to help them see(you take it round with you).
Very busy in restuarant/ cafe so may be take a packed lunch. On second floor there is an exhibition with loads of life size animals including the biggest blue whale my children loved that. Also at the back of musuem (a bit tricky to find so may be ask if you are stuck) is a part when you go inside the earth, going up on an escalator and it takes you to a mock up of a shop in japan and it stimulates an earthquake with the floor moving.

A great day out - we went last summer. If you go to the science museum head to the basement - there is a fab section (quite big)where it is all hands on for kids.

trace2 Sun 09-Aug-09 18:02:58

thank you so much still planing!!

franklymydear Sun 09-Aug-09 18:06:29

If its really hot, get a picnic and go and eat it at the paddling pool in the Victoria & Albert museum (across the road) - just ask them where the cafe with the pool is

take a towel and swimsuit for kids under teenage

consider going downstairs at the Science Museum for hands-on fun (again for under teens I'd say)

I think there's a butterfly exhibition at the natural History Museum that is pretty good

notsoteenagemum Sun 09-Aug-09 18:18:08

We went there last weekend and stayed at the Premier Inn Earls Court(look at the £39 a night deals not through usual booking), it was about 10 mins walk from the Natural History Museum.
There was no food option there as they are having a new restaurant built but they gave us money off vouchers for a couple of places.

We got to the Museum about an hour after opening and although the queues looked big they moved really quickly. There is also a side door which had no queue when we passed it the following day at a similar time.
We went to the dinosaurs first, it seemed to get busy very quickly and the queue was huge when we were leaving about 3 hours later.
It was fantastic there even though we only saw part of it my dc 9 and 4 loved it especially after seeing night at the museum.

preciouslillywhite Tue 11-Aug-09 18:58:07

If it's a hot day I'd take a walk up Exhibition Road after and take them to the Diana Memorial Fountain...we went there today after the Science Museum-it's only about 10-15 mins walk. They used to stop you paddling in it in case of slippage (honestly, if you took a couple of steps a security man used to appear from nowhere and tell you off!) but now they seem to have got more relaxed about running about and splashing...it's fun -and freeeee!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now